Monday, September 17, 2012

Apples & Honey (& Honey)

Here's the promised Rosh Hashanah post.

First, let's cut right to the cute with some video:



(My favorite part? When she stops in the middle and announces "I have to breathe" - so cute!)

I also attended the Rosh Hashanah party at Natalie's school last Friday. It was awesome. And sticky. And sticky. On a related note, if you ask Natalie about the party, she'll tell you "I drank the honey. And I ate honey cake." I guess the apples and pomegranates had a hard time keeping up with other fare!

Here are some pics from the party:




Since the temps have cooled a little, we've also been doing a little baking in honor of the holiday. Here are some baked pumpkin donuts from the Goat Chef:


We had company over on Saturday night and I made a new apple cake recipe, Cook's Illustrated French Apple Cake

 A new recipe is always a bit of a high stakes gamble; this was fine, but I think I still prefer either the Cooking Light apple cake or the apple cake recipe from the New York Times Jewish Cookbook. You know, in case you were keeping score.


Last night I made Apple and Honey Challah. I did take a picture, but, uh, let's just pretend mine looked just like the pictures on the blog. The bread did taste good - and it made some excellent French Toast for our breakfast-for-dinner that we had tonight.   


Wishing you a sweet and good year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grrr and I love this post of the adorable Natalie who we miss her already and you guys too~ Love the Rosh Hashana dance and the celebration at school and especially her comment about eating the bread and drinking the honey! Happy New Year to your beautiful family. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this.

Love, bubbe and grrr

Scoot said...

Shana tovah guys, hope you're having a great 5773!