As for Natalie's understanding of the new baby, well, things are mixed. She'll sometimes kiss or pat my belly. But other times she's busy instructing us to buy the baby its own toys or letting us know that she won't come to the hospital to visit because she wants to have her snack (?). I can't help feeling that she's a little like those dinosaurs who had no idea that the asteroid was heading for them - but I hope it won't be that traumatic! We probably aren't helping the situation by calling the baby "the porpoise dolphin" - I hope she doesn't think a real porpoise / dolphin is coming to live with us! I do think she has some sense that a human baby is coming, though. We've also signed her up for "big sister class" (a sibling class + tour) at the hospital in November. We'll see how that goes.
Our September has been good - a little less busy than August (although we're still dealing with more preschool closures than we'd like!).
Mike and I have been out twice this month. This might be a record.
The first event was the wedding of a family friend of the Good Goat; the second was a work event for the Good Goat. We had everyone in town for wedding!
And, now, more of what you really come here for:
She's still (mostly) super-sweet (most of the time). Here are some funny moments:
Me, rolling scratch paper into pretend ice cream cones: Here you go.
Natalie: Baby (her doll) wants one, too!
Me: Can you and baby share?
Natalie: No! She will freak out!
Me: Please put your shoes on.
Natalie: I can't. I'm dehydrated.
Scene: lunch, Natalie is making a giant mess of her pb&j sandwich - licking the jam and smearing the peanut butter everywhere.
Me: Do you do that at school? What do you teachers say?
Natalie: They don't say anything.
Me, to Mike: I guess they have other fish to fry.
Natalie: They don't eat fish.
Natalie, singing to herself: You get what you get, and you throw a fit. (Uhh, I think the real preschool saying might be "You get what you get, and you don't throw a fit." But, well, uh, there you go.)
In adorable-land, she's started calling raindrops "kisses from the rain". (Her umbrella is still a "rainbrella".)
I'm also working on her belated birthday party. It's going to be kitty cat-themed. I figure this is my one chance to sort of go a little theme crazy and do it all myself before life gets too complicated. Sadly, though, I've had to accept that even my ambition has limits, so in favor of cool party entertainment and neat favors, we'll be buying the cake. Pictures to come!
In knitting news (yes, I'm still at it - albeit very slowly!), I made this sweater for the new baby of a childhood friend of mine:
In parting, a shot of Natalie playing school:
1 comment:
Natalie is such a big girl now...love her sense of humor...she is says the funniest and cutest things. She is adorable Speaking of adorable...you look lovely Kate. I hope you are feeling good too!
Love to all!
Bubbe
Post a Comment