Last week we had a big milestone around here: Mike left to go to Toronto for a conference for a few days, leaving Natalie and me all alone. Except, of course, we weren't really all alone - our wonderful friends here dropped in on me every day. They provided actual conversation, held Natalie so I could take a shower, and brought delicious food. They were great, but I was very glad to see Mike when he returned!
Here's a shot of Mike giving his paper. Or something.Last week something also seemed a bit off with Natalie. When things didn't improve after a few days, I ended up taking her to the pediatrician while Mike was gone. Turns out something was wrong (score one for parental intuition) - nothing major, we've got medicine to fix it, and are on the road to recovery. But I did pass the time in the pediatrician's waiting room convincing myself that I was at that very minute catching swine flu from all the feverish kids. It's now several days later, and I'm not sick, so I guess I dodged that bullet. Anyway, that visit was my first solo outing with Natalie - let's hope the next one is for something a little more fun (and less likely to induce my paranoia!).
Also, Natalie is probably 10 pounds by now - she was 9 lbs, 14 oz last Thursday! We also think she might be smiling. I mean, she's definitely smiling - it's a lot less clear whether she's just coincidentally smiling or whether this is in response to us. A few times we think we've done things that made her smile, but maybe she was just going to smile anyway.....In terms of things that make me smile, I've gotten back in the garden. Most people here plant a new crop of veggies around now for a late fall harvest. I don't have the energy for that (although I would like to plant vetch in about six weeks or so in order to enrich the soil for next spring's plants). But I am making the most of the plants we do have - tomato and basil. Here's a shot of a Caprese-style salad I made:(See? I do believe in foods other than dessert. Although not very much....)
And here are some additional things to make you smile:And here's the whole album (which can also be found here):
1 comment:
Anonymous
said...
Kate, good you followed your intuition . . . it comes in very handy as a mom (especially the mom of a baby). Glad Natalie is doing better. She is darling . . .I love her little smile. Seems like our little one is right on target. I hope she always has lots to smile about.
This is the story of a young couple from Seattle. They started this blog when they moved to Japan for year in 2005. Since then, the blog has become a record of their lives, friends, cooking, and travels. Follow along at home as they discover a new foreign country: Texas, where they moved in 2008. In July of 2009, the couple added a native Texan, Natalie Beth, to their family. In January of 2013, another native Texan, Jacob Samuel, joined the team.
1 comment:
Kate, good you followed your intuition . . . it comes in very handy as a mom (especially the mom of a baby). Glad Natalie is doing better. She is darling . . .I love her little smile. Seems like our little one is right on target. I hope she always has lots to smile about.
Love, Bubbie B.
Post a Comment