Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A first

No work today for me! School is closed due to an ice storm.

Thinking about this, I think this might be the first time ever that I've experienced a weather-related school closure. Once, there was a bad earthquake when I was in elementary school, but the day after was a scheduled in-service so they got the building inspectors out then, so no school closure. Wellesley might have closed once, but I don't think I had classes that day. And UW closed once, but it was at 3pm, so I'd already had my classes for the day.

But today, today is a real gift! Alas, I was dressed and showered before I found out about it - but, no worries, my sweatpants and my fleece have quickly found me!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This might not be true, but I have heard that there is only one snow plow in the whole state of Texas.

Anyhow, glad you got the day off. What about the professor?

MD

MHS said...

I had the day off too!

Anonymous said...

This is shocking! Texas is so weird. But I'm glad you got the day off.

Unknown said...

Wow! We got two days off for snow last week. I also don't think Greenville owns any plows. There were only four inches of snow, but they basically just left it on the roads and waited for it to melt.

Also idiotic ECU students arrested in disorderly snowball fight.

Snow in NC, ice in TX...pending weather apocalypse?

MHS said...

I actually have heard that ice storms are not all that uncommon in Texas. Someone said something on Monday like "Mike, you haven't seen one of our ice storms yet." But now I have. TCU was canceled today (Thursday) too, and Kate doesn't have to go in until noon.

Anonymous said...

I guess I should chime in too or I will be the only Strausz family member who hasn't. You used to love snow days as a kid so now you get to enjoy ice days! Tell Kate to drive carefully. We have about 4 more inches on top of our 20 today and it keeps on going. I am afraid for when it melts.

Love you both,
Mom from Michigan