Saturday, January 24, 2009

A little ketchup

So, it's been a busy week.

Also, I must confess that I haven't been blogging as much because I still haven't replaced my computer. I just can't decide if I want a pc or mac, a desktop or a laptop. So I do nothing. And my readers - all three of you - suffer. Or something.

Anyway, first things first.

We finally got the keys to the house on Tuesday, when the loan actually funded. So that was exciting.

Tuesday was also Inauguration Day. Tuesday was awesome.We actually took a break at my work and watched some of the inauguration on TV, although the reception was pretty fuzzy. I also caught a replay of the speech driving home. But then, that evening, we went to an inauguration-watching party. The hostess was really creative and had made foods that represented different parts of Obama's life/heritage: so we had Kenyan beans and rice, Indonesian rolls, Chicago deep-dish pizza, and Hawaiian coconut cake. Yum!

On Wednesday we got right back to house things. After work we meet at the house to check out how a few of our favorite flooring samples from the store actually looked in our house (so weird to write those words "our house"?!). We were picking something for the living room, master bedroom, and two downstairs closets. After some debate, we settled on this:It's wood laminate, which actually means plastic. It will look like wood, but is much more durable and easier to care for. Also, cheaper. So, it will take 7-10 days to arrive, and then our floor guy estimates 2-3 days to install.

We've also been busy researching refrigerators (okay, sorry, this may be, like, the most boring post ever - feel free to move along to reading, um, well, anything else). If anyone has any thoughts about refrigerator brands or styles, we'd love to hear it. And, yes, we've already looked at Consumer Reports. Right now we're looking at Whirlpool one from Costco. The good news is that Costco includes delivery and is very price-competitive with Sears, etc. The bad news is that it can take as long as 20 days for the item to arrive. So we're hoping to place the order soon, just in case it takes the full 20 days to arrive.

Basically, we are still looking at a mid-February moving date.

The weather here remains crazy. Yesterday it was 80 degrees. Today it's 30 degrees. I feel like people in Seattle always said, "if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes." But, whatever, it was always raining. Which was fine; I like rain. But the whole changing-rapidly-thing wasn't quite as a big deal as people acted like it was. Here, it's the real deal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So envious of your inauguration party! Sounds like such fun and what a creative way to celebrate. Love the cartoon . . .how true! Also like your floor choice and as far as the weather . . . a day of 80 sounds pretty heavenly to me writing from Michigan at 7 degrees. Take care . . .

Love,
MM

Scoot said...

So where did ketchup come into play? An ingredient in one of the Obama foods? :) Congrats again on the house - and yes, for home appliances, beyond Consumer Reports, make sure you shop until you drop. Oh, and price compare using Live Search, which actually gives you back a not insubstantial rebate. (cashback.live.com)

katem said...

Ketchup was just like catch-up. Or something. Clearly, not as funny as I first thought :)