[This post is, somewhat obviously, written by the great SYL]
I went back to look at other guest blog posts for inspiration and discovered that I had promised to write a guest entry about my Japan visit and e-mail it to Kate and Mike upon my return to Seattle. Of course, I never did.
I thought about using this ploy again, but Kate has caught on and has now threatened to not take me to the airport until I blog about Fort Worth and our journey here.
As sad as I am to leave Kate and Mike, deliberately missing my flight by refusing to blog is probably not the best strategy to being invited back.
I invited myself along on their moving adventure (also known as The Great Rain Escape 2008) to make sure my best friend would be okay living in the great nation known as Texas. After spending a week getting in their way, bossing them around and telling them how to hang all their pictures, I am pleased to report that I believe everyone's favorite fish-for-breakfast-eating couple will be happy here in Fort Worth.
All the boxes are unpacked, there's now a small herb garden on the deck, there are groceries in the fridge, Mike has been cooking delicious dinners for us, there is internet and cable (!), we've been swimming in the pool every day, the apartment is spacious and modern, and there are lots of trees everywhere. All that's missing now is a dog. (And I'm assured this will be rectified soon.)
It is extremely difficult to leave, knowing that the Seattle I'm returning to is no longer the city where my best friend and I live. To me, the ideal Seattle will always be the one where Kate and Mike are, always ready for Thai food and cupcakes. But I feel reassured after having seen Fort Worth, and I know that Kate is happiest where Mike is, and Mike is happiest where Kate is, so who could ask for more for one's best friend?
Monday, July 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Awww...SYL is the best. Seriously, Stephanie, I have been thinking about Kate and Mike moving and getting settled a lot and have felt very happy knowing you were with them to help ease the move.
Awwww, indeed!
SYL wins the best friend of the year award for doing that drive. Seriously.
--Jen Em
Stephanie,
I am in awe of what a devoted friend you have been to Mike and Kate. I loved your posting . . .of course, being the mom, it made me cry (bawl might be a better word!). I loved your line about Kate being happy wherever Mike is and Mike being happy wherever Kate is. You deserve the friend of the decade award. Thank you and I hope to see you soon in Texas!!
Warmly, Mike's mom
Post a Comment