Tuesday, November 28, 2006

My bags are packed, and...

Tonight marks the end of my stay in Tsukuba, Japan. I have now been to Japan four times, beginning with a six week Youth for Understanding trip in 1994. This was my first experience blogging about my adventures, although in 1994 I kept an old-fashioned diary on the advice of my Grandma Bert (my Grandma was not one to give much advice, so when she did give advice, I took it). This evening I was going back and reading some of our old posts, and I am really glad that we have this record of our year.

This was also my first time in Japan when I did not take any classes; instead I was entrusted to carry out my own research. And while I had a supervisory professor in Japan and one back in the US, they almost completely left me alone to do my own thing. This was really nice, but it was also daunting, and a bit overwhelming. So, what did I accomplish academically?
  • I wrote two dissertation chapters.
  • I conducted 23 research interviews, all but one in Japanese.
  • I met with 5 professors and academics at other locations to discuss my research.
  • I presented on my research three times, once at my university and twice at conferences.
  • I read many secondary sources in English and Japanese.
  • I read a large number of Japanese government reports over a period spanning 20 years.
  • Japanese newspapers are archived in monthly volumes called "shukusatsuban." I read, or at least scanned, 127 shukusatsuban.
Now I'm ready to finish writing my dissertation and get on with my life!

I am obviously extremely excited to see Kate, since it has been almost five months since we last saw each other. However, leaving has been a bit bittersweet. I have found myself doing a lot of bowing and saying "osewa ni narimashita" which means something like "you have taken care of me" (and implies that I am very indebted for that). Last Sunday I had a potluck party to give away my things, and that was a chance to say goodbye to some of my friends, and on this Saturday night there was a sayonara bowling party for me and two French friends who are also leaving tomorrow. I also had assorted goodbye events with various groups of friends, including a sushi dinner tonight with "the Canadian team," and a Tokyo lunch yesterday with my host sister. I had a goodbye lunch with Nagu and his parents, which was very sad. At the end his dad shook my hand, and then he wanted to shake my hand too. Nagu really likes electronics, and he actually took some photos with my camera. They are pretty funny. I will post them soon, but my camera is now packed.

So, this is the last "fish for breakfast" post from Japan in 2006. I will have to discuss it with my co-blogger, but I have a feeling that "fish for breakfast" will continue indefinitely. And if that is the case, then I also have a feeling that another "fish for breakfast" post will be written in Japan sometime in the not-too-distant future.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike,
Your family is filled with pride at how you have conducted your life. You have brought smiles to us all and informed us beautifully in words and photographs about your visit to the wonderful country of Japan. Thank you for being such a grand explorer and for sending us letters home in the form of your blog.I will never forget your words.
Bittersweet endings open doors and I am sure you will never close your heart to Yuko and the rest of your beautiful friends. I look forward to meeting them when they come to our country to visit you!
Welcome home to America. We have missed you.

Anonymous said...

Mikey, Mikey, Mikey,

We love you so much and we are so proud of you!! We can't wait til you are on our United States Earth Plane . . . You did so much and enriched the live's of so many people! We can't wait to see you and spoil you at our combination Chanukah/Thanksgiving dinner. Dad and I were always so grateful to be able to be in close touch via your amazing blog. It made you seem not so far away. I have a confession to make: I was the one with the initials "MM".

Love,
Brenda Mom frin United States Earth Plane

Anonymous said...

best car insurance company
new york car insurance
best car insurance
car insurance comparison
online auto insurance quote
free car insurance quote
instant car insurance quote
rental car insurance
car insurance quote canada
california car insurance
collector car insurance
texas car insurance
texas car insurance
auto cheap insurance
car insurance for woman
teen car insurance
car insurance quote online uk
nationwide car insurance
car insurance
cheap car insurance quote uk
car insurance group
cheap car insurance quote
low cost car insurance online
car insurance quote canada
cheapest car insurance
car insurance quote
geico car insurance
florida car insurance
low car insurance
direct car insurance

http://cheap-car-insurance.quickfreehost.com

Random Keyword: :)
free car insurance quote

Anonymous said...

Your article is very informative and helped me further.

Thanks, David