Friday, June 09, 2006

“Miss Kate’s Last Day”

Wednesday was my last day teaching art.

We did a 2-part Father’s Day project. First, we made cards that looked like dress shirts. This wasn’t that easy, since measuring and cutting precisely were really important, otherwise the cards wouldn’t have things that looked like shirt collars on top. The older students helped the younger students measure and cut, and then all the students decorated their shirts and ties.Next, we made bookmarks with a sappy poem (scroll to the bottom of the page). In keeping with the poem’s theme, we used some Ed Emberely-inspired fingerprint art to decorate the bookmarks. When all the bookmarks were finished, I laminated them.Overall, teaching art was a really fun and rewarding experience. I really don’t have any interest in teaching elementary art for the long-term, though. I worry that I am not nurturing enough to be both nice and firm/structured with a large number of young kids for long stretches of the day. And I still have a lot of trouble with balancing the importance of following directions with allowing space for individual creativity with the art materials.

But, for a few hours a week, it was fun. This Wednesday, the kids were super-great. Last Wednesday, during the fruit and veggie printing lesson, there was a little trouble with sharing paint and materials and there were a few quarrels. This week, I stressed to the students that I really wanted our last time together to be fun and pleasant. So, every time something that happened that could possibly lead to an argument, the kids would remind each other “Miss Kate’s last day, Miss Kate’s last day . . .”

Teaching art also sort of re-defined how I felt about myself as an “artist.” I still wouldn’t say that I have any artistic talent, but I am at least more comfortable facilitating art projects and trying new things.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I give you a lot of credit for taking the risk to teach art! Adding to the difficulty was the large age range of the students and the fact that you weren't at school every day.

I think you did a wonderful job!

Great ties! I bet those Father's Day gifts will be treasured by the recipients!!

MD

katem said...

I would love to do a baby shower, but I'm unsure about my plans. I think that late September is probably better than earlier September, though. I will try to figure this out as soon as I return.

Anonymous said...

Kate,

I too think you did a terrific job teaching art to such varied age groups. I taught art in the inner city (seems like ages ago) and I also found it hard to balance the directions with allowing for personal creativity. It seems as if you did a good job of giving them basic directions and allowing them to be creative within the directions. I found that presents going home are harder . . . as they are set patterns. I treasure those gifts my children made for me in school. I am sure they will all miss their Miss Kate.

Love, MM

Anonymous said...

P.S. I blew lup the picture of the shirts and they are really creative! Did they put the bookmarks in the pockets?

MM

katem said...

It was my original plan to have them put the bookmarks in the pockets, but then I felt like it just looked sort of strange, since the bookmark stuck up way above the top of the card. So I didn't say anything about that - if the kids figure that out on their own, that's fine; otherwise, I think the bookmarks are probably less likely to get bent if they are slipped inside the cards.

Anonymous said...

You are such a fun teacher.. I am reminded of my own days as a nursery director in the 70's. You touched the lives of so many, Kate.
Save the date 777 for our simcha!!!
Tyjo