Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Tsukuba Onsen Ho-tehr-ru

Last weekend, we went away to an onsen. Well, we didn’t go far, just halfway up Mount Tsukuba, but it was very nice to have a change of scenery and pace. This was especially true since it was our last weekend alone together before all our guests arrive (see below) and then we leave for the States.

We saw a beautiful rainbow on the way up the mountain. We also had a great view of the rice paddies from the mountain.Onsens are usually associated with traditional Japanese inns, so we were treated to bean snacks in our rooms, yukata robes to wear down to the baths, and a nice dinner.It was good fun!

In a few hours my friend Sheila and her new husband arrive, and then, a few days later, my friend Karen arrives. And shortly after that come my brother and his friend. Theoretically my brother and his friend will be here while the other crew is off in Kyoto, but we aren’t yet sure about that. Anyway, it should be good fun!

This weekend, we’ve planned a little BBQ-karaoke party with some of our friends here. The party will be a going away party for me and for our Finish friend Antti, who is also leaving soon. I also hope to take Sheila and Justin and Karen to Omotesando on Sunday afternoon. Other than that, I have no special plans for the guests – there’s so much to do, I think that they should choose.

I promise updates of their visits!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The picture with Mike in his sumo garb didn't come through on my computer. I'm told he was quite stylish.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize you could see the rice paddy tennis club courts from up on the mountain.
lovelovejo

Anonymous said...

Looks like a ball! I am sad that all MD and I missed by not being able to visit. I think I would have looked good in one of the robes!! Much love and can't wait to see you!

MM