Explaining the IOU coupon thing was a little hard. I caught one student writing a coupon that said only “1 hour be quiet.” So we worked to re-word that so it would seem more like a gift for the mom rather than a punishment ticket her child had issued her.
The pots turned out really well, though.


Also, I missed volunteer appreciation day a few weeks ago, but I got a card today. Is this not the sweetest thing ever?
Speaking of Mother’s Day (a big hug to our moms!), we are off to Hakodate on the island of Hokkaido (the northernmost island in Japan) to visit one of Mike’s former host mothers. We’ll be back Monday evening.
3 comments:
Oooh. Those pots look great! I'm glad you got another chance to use the infamous acrylic paints.
The thank you note is very sweet. That's one of the best thing about teaching young children instead of snarling, pouty high schoolers: gratitude!
(They are right-- you are a good teacher. Definitely keep the card to remind you of for when you have a lousy teaching day sometime in the future, possibly when you are dealing with the snarling, pouty high schoolers.)
Truthfully now, Kate: was being an art teacher as terrible and horrible as you thought it would be?
--Jen
Teachers are like mothers in many ways... students look to you for advise, wisdom and hugs.... Happy Mother's Day to you too!
Ancho
Hi Jen - I've been meaning to get back to you about that. Teaching art isn't as bad as I thought it would be (and, luckily, they have yet to catch on that I have no talent). I still worry about finding enough projects, deciphering the matierals here, keeping many ages occupied, etc. But, overall, I do like it - and I think the kids really enjoy the art time.
Post a Comment