Sunday, January 29, 2006

And now for some navel-gazing . . .

It's been a slow weekend here (gearing up for the big adventures next week – or just conditioning the two readers of our blog to learn to do without us over the next two weeks).

First, a word cloud of our blog:Second, a meme from RV:

(keeping in mind that my mother and – occasionally – my grandmother read this, and one wants to make them cry neither tears of joy nor shame)

Seven things to do before I die:
Own another dog
Grow a really, really awesome vegetable garden
Run a marathon
Write a book
Visit Alaska
Take some art classes in painting, drawing, and ceramics

Seven things I cannot/will not do:
Sing solo in front of others
Dance
Clap in rhythm
Accept stupidity or arrogance from those in positions of authority
Ride in a hummer
Smoke cigarettes
bungee jump

Seven things I say most often [recently]:
wakarimasen
Goaty!
I meant . . .
I’m so cold
I’ll do the dishes
Tell me a story
Did it snow last night?

Seven books I love [and that I’ve read in the last ten years, so this excludes any classics read in high school and any childhood books]:
The Sparrow, Mary Doria Russell
Small Wonder: Essays, Barbara Kingsolver
Spirit Walker, Nancy Wood
Angle of Repose, Wallace Stegner
The Classic Hundred Poems, various
. . . “love” is such a strong word that I might have to stop here – I can think of many books I like, but love . . . I am looking here for something so rich that if one were alone on a desert island, one would never go bored thinking about the multitude of questions raised by said book, which must, of course, also be a pleasure to read. Given those high standards, I might actually take down a few of the above books, but, hey, I just wanted to play along . . . [I am also trying to make an effort to avoid academic (States and Social Revolutions) or pretentious (The Future of an Illusion) books]

Seven movies I watch over and over:
Sadly, there’s only been one - and that was several years ago (since I am generally opposed to re-watching movies or re-reading books): Top Gun. And, yes, I know that the fact that this was the one movie is even sadder.

Seven things I like about blogs and blogging:
Not having to explain what I’ve been up to / what the weather is like / how I like Japan over and over again.
The (quasi) anonymity
The comments people leave
Getting to share my pictures right away with those that are far away
The feeling that I can participate in the lives/experiences/thoughts of those far away and who lead very different lives from mine just by reading (and very rarely commenting on) their blogs
The fact that I could never, ever keep a diary, but somehow keeping a blog is much, much easier
Bitch Ph.D.

Some to join me:
Well, whoever wants to! Any of the people on the blogroll!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate,

What wonderful musings! I love your writing style and the deep thought you put into everything. I think you are really making the most of your Japanese stay. I am hoping that soon the words, "I am so cold!" will be obsolete and that a sweet dog will be in your life next year! Do you have a name picked out? How many blogs do you read? Do you have any good ones to share? Keep blogging our dear Kate. It makes us feel that part of your adventures. And enjoy every moment!

love, your MM

Robert Farley said...

Heh he hee hee.

"Top Gun"

BWA Ha ha ha hee haa hee ha *snort* ha ha ha

Eric said...

the word cloud is so cool. I did one for EBEats--so fun!