Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Guest Blogging Japan, by Dr.P:

[The following are Dr.P's reflections on Japan. Tonight, after I return from dropping her off at the airport, I'll post some pictures from Kamakura (where we went yesterday).]

Japan is a most unique experience because of being completely modern, but not westernized – totally different from Europe.

You can get around without knowing the language.

The trains are clean and fast and good, and I love them. The announcements are in English. I was impressed by the computer screens that lit up to tell you where you were going and where you had been.

Only twice was it as crowded as the mythology suggested: once at Friday night rush hour in downtown Tokyo, and one morning when we tried to change trains at Tokyo station during rush hour, when Kate managed to get on, but I didn’t (she got off).

The food is fresh, it was delicious.

Kate and Mike showed me a great time.

One day we cruised Ginza, the Rodeo Drive of Tokyo.

The Japanese know how to do gardens. Their gardens are full-sized, not miniature bonsai gardens. The leaves were just beginning to turn.

Yesterday, we made a pilgrimage to the Great Buddha at Kamakura, preceded by a reading of the Kipling poem.

Last night we celebrated Mike’s birthday at a yummy Italian restaurant, complete with wine.

It was a fantastic experience. Sadly, I am on my way home today, not looking forward to the ten-hour flight. But it was worth it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is my favorite quote of the week, "The Japanese know how to do gardens. Their gardens are full-sized, not miniature bonsai gardens". also....HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIKE!!!!! i hope you can get some birthday cake!!!
smiles, Liz

MHS said...

Thanks, Liz. Cake was definitely consumed.