Thursday, April 03, 2025

Sayonara Odate

 I am writing this on a train from Odate in northeast Akita Prefecture to Akita City in the west. In Akita City I will do a research interview, spend the night at a hotel called "Dormy", and then head to Tokyo tomorrow. 

My trip to Odate was incredibly useful, and I will have to spend a good amount of time looking over the data that I gathered. In addition to being the home of the famous dog Hachiko, as I mentioned in the last post, Odate also claims to be the birthplace of the dog breed "Akita." A sign in the Hachiko Museum says that the Akita breed was originally called the Odate breed. Dog images are EVERYWHERE in Odate.

Here are some photos from my time in Odate:

That is me with Mayor Ishida. At 27, he is the youngest mayor in all of Japan.


That is my hotel breakfast from yesterday. I ate some version of this every morning in Odate except this morning, as I had to leave before they started service.

That was the sign posted dramatically in the curry restaurant where I had lunch yesterday. It was one of their only decorations. The guy I was eating with asked if it was a famous expression, and I had to say no. I also realized that it is beyond the limits of my Japanese to translate it (maybe because I don't totally understand what it means in English?). 

That is the restaurant that I retreated to when I got tired of Japanese food. Alacran, Cheese and Dining.

That is the route of the train that I am on right now.


No comments: