Sunday, April 14, 2013

Natalie's first conference

Before Jacob was born, I decided that I would bring Natalie to an academic conference with me in San Francisco in April of this year.  I thought that this would be a good way for Natalie to feel like she still got to do special things with her parents even though she is a big sister.  After making that decision, I told Natalie about it, and she was EXTREMELY excited.  Being only 3, she did not have a good sense of what it meant that the conference would be in 6 months.  I had been telling her that we would go a few months after Jacob was born, and so the day after Jacob was born she said (while seeing her brother for the first time at the hospital) "can we go to San Francisco now!?" 

A few weeks ago, the big day finally arrived, and I think it lived up to the hype.  I made Natalie a conference name badge, which she really liked:


She got to meet some of my friends and mentors from graduate school:

She also went with me to the book exhibit, and she was pleased that I was not lying when I promised that at least one of the booths would be distributing candy:

She got to spend some time with "Uncle B," an old friend of mine:

She also spent the day Saturday (while I presented my paper and then had lunch with the panelists) haning out with aunt, uncle, and cousin:





She enjoyed riding the "pretend horsey":


She is reluctant to identify her favorite parts of her first conference journey, but she did say that this was her favorite meal (a blueberry muffin):


4 comments:

Ethan said...

Jealous! I want to hang out with you, Natalie and Uncle B.

Anonymous said...

Love how the young Texan bonded with the horsey! What a wonderful weekend for Dad and Daughter!!

Grrr

MHS said...

Thanks, Dad. And Ethan, we would love to hang out with you sometime as well. Are you in DC now?

Anonymous said...

Looooooooove this post!!! It was so much fun to see. What a special time for dad and his daughter.

love you and miss you.
bubbe