Tuesday, June 08, 2010

My best friend's wedding

(okay, I have several best friends, I just really, really wanted to use that post title)

On Thursday afternoon we flew east to Baltimore for Miso and Peso's wedding (also known as Marianne and Brian). Marianne is one of my oldest friends from college. I guess this means that I've known her almost fifteen years. Whoa - talk about making me feel old. I seem to operate in a perpetual time-warp where high school is always just ten years ago.

Anyway, the wedding was lovely. The groom was happy. The bride was happy. Together, they were lovely and radiant and delightful. And there's something so wonderful about seeing the people you love so happy. Perhaps true happiness really is the delight in the joy of others? (As an aside, I knew that Mike was getting serious about me way back in grad school when he started to ask about Brian; it touched me that he cared enough about my friend to want the very best for her).

Our arrival into Baltimore was a little rocky - delayed by major storms, we sat on the runway for quite some time prior to take-off. When we finally met Grandma Pat, picked up the rental car, and made it to the hotel, it was after 11pm. The girl did okay through all of this; she was pretty tired, but as long as the car was moving, she slept.

The next morning, Natalie stayed with Daddy while the ladies went for pedicures.That afternoon we were lucky enough to join the happy couple for lunch at a local wine bar. And that evening, we did the Maryland thing and ate some crabs.
The wedding was the next morning. The ceremony was held at the family home overlooking the Chesapeake Bay, underneath a big tree on a grassy hill that gently sloped down to the water. It was lovely and tranquil and idyllic.Natalie made it through most of the ceremony, but toward the end, Mike retreated to the house with her. She also did okay at the reception, taking a long nap (supervised generously by Grandma Pat) just as the food was served.

Annnnd now, the part you've all been waiting for:For those who can't get enough, the whole set is here (and note that these were taken with our bad camera, since I didn't have the energy to haul all Natalie's stuff, plus the good big camera).

Natalie was so exhausted from her whirlwind weekend (and the early wake-up call for the flight) that she slept most of the way back to DFW.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate and Mike, What a lovely wedding! I could feel the happiness you felt for your friend! And our little Natalie was such a precious little guest in her little polka dot dress. Miss you all so much!

Much love is sent to you!
Bubbe brenda

Marianne said...

It was wonderful to see you in Maryland and I love the pictures! Natalie is so so cute.