Friday, August 14, 2009

More excitement

Here's a post with pictures, which, I gather, is the preferred kind of post. I get it.

Those of you who read the blog on its own page (not through the email digest or through a feed reader) will notice that I've added a spot on the sidebar detailing Natalie's stats. Our second data point comes from Natalie's visit to the pediatrician this week. She was a total rockstar! I had been unsure about how well she was eating, but it turns out she's doing quite well - in a little over three weeks she's gone from 6 pounds, 10 ounces to 8 pounds, 4 ounces (she also gained more than an inch in height/length). So we must be doing something right! I'll try to update that space each time we get more data.

I've also edited the "about us" paragraph to reflect Natalie's birth.

Blah, blah, blah. Blogging is soooo exciting.....

In real-life excitement, we had our first outing today. That is, the first time we left the house with Natalie to do something other than go to a medical appointment. We took Natalie out to lunch and then grocery shopping this afternoon. Really, we just went to the fancy-pants grocery store here in town and ate there before doing our shopping. We got a bit of late start, arriving to the store around 2; this was actually perfect as we missed both the lunch and pre-dinner crowds in the market. Natalie was a total gem - she slept the whole time in her car seat. We tossed a blanket over her seat to protect her from well-meaning (but germy) strangers. Miraculously, things went amazingly well. We had a nice lunch, we got all our shopping done, and Natalie didn't stir until we arrived back home. I tell you, I have this parenting thing NAILED. Nailed, I tell you. Ha. I cannot even explain how stressful it is to leave the house. I'm told this will get easier; someday I'll be ready to believe that.

Also, a little Mike update: he's doing great after his surgery. He was a little out of it on Wednesday afternoon, but was fine by the evening. He's been eating a lot of soups and smoothies, but hasn't needed any of the pain medication. On that note, we tried a new soup tonight, Gazpacho with goat cheese salsa (not exactly the recipe Mike used, but close). Totally a keeper!
And on the topic of pictures, here are a few of my favorite recent Natalie pictures (actually, I just realized that these were all taken today - funny how different she looks in each one!):Here's the whole album: (which can also be found here)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to get your posting as I am waiting to get tired enuf to sleep. Natalie is looking so beautiful and so alert! What a doll . . . you guys are doing such an incredible job with her. I can't wait to see her again soon. Tell her that Bubbie loves her bigger than the sky.

Anonymous said...

Just as the previous poster had the thrill of seeing Natalie in the evening, I had the joy of seeing her beautiful face when I awakened.

How wonderful!

Love, Gramps

Krista said...

Before too long you'll be comfortable enough taking her out that you'll even leave the house without the diaper bag and shrug it off!

katem said...

Never!
(or so it seems to my overwhelmed brain)

Scoot said...

I still can't generally leave the house without the diaper bag. At least not intentionally. :)

Jo Strausz Rosen said...

I still bring Zak's diaper bag!

Gluckblogs said...

Yes, it gets easier - but not much, and not anytime soon. My advice - round up a few spare backpacks or other bags you're not using, and load each one with diapers, wipes, a burp cloth, a onesie, Purell... whatever your absolute essentials are. Then, keep a bag in your car, one by the door, one at work, etc. Just knowing that you could literally run out the door and just grab one of these bags makes it a lot less stressful. And you may find that you need less than you think.

katem said...

I like this idea, but then I worry that it's extra bags to keep organized - and extra bags to look in when I've misplaced something (like my wallet, for example). Gah! Nothing easy, right?

katem said...

I like this idea, but then I worry that it's extra bags to keep organized - and extra bags to look in when I've misplaced something (like my wallet, for example). Gah! Nothing easy, right?