Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Nesting

Okay, to be fair, it isn't like we've been on some kind of big nesting binge in the last few weeks or anything - some of these rooms have been set up for quite some time. I just wanted everything to be all in place before I took any pictures.

Here's our living room, complete with the new couches and ottoman. We've also framed up some calligraphy we collected in Japan (you can see this above the TV). Each panel represents one temple that we visited (most of them in Kyoto); big thanks to my aunt Pru for gifting us the frame as a housewarming present.With the new couches downstairs, we moved the old couch/futon upstairs to the guest room. Mike also hung the rest of the pictures in that room. So now our guest room is looking nice and is ready for business (I'm sensing we might have some guests soon!).Last, we've been working in the baby's room. Our nursery doesn't really have a theme or a color scheme or anything; we just sort of gathered items that we liked and that were fun, colorful, and sweet. Big thanks to Mike's parents who gave us the very generous gift of the nursery furniture. Here's a detail shot of the pictures above the crib; they are framed pages from one of our favorite children's books, Guess How Much I Love You. I loved the pictures from the book, but the commercially available posters just didn't seem quite right. So I bought an extra copy of the book, cut it up and framed some of the pages. The total cost for the whole wall, including the frames, was what one poster would have cost!
We also have a rocking chair - a super-sweet gift from my mom. Right now the chair is staying in the corner of our bedroom; since the baby will be sleeping in our room in a bassinet for a while, it seemed to make sense to keep the chair nearby. Eventually, though, the chair will go upstairs in the corner of the baby's room.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The place looks great!

I think I need to have a kid so that my parents will give me such nice furniture. (Wait. It doesn't work that way, you say?)

--Jen Em

Anonymous said...

The house looks very ready for that cute little baby! You guys did a great job. We can't wait to see you, the house and most of all . . . the baby!!!!!!

Michigan Grandma to be

Scoot said...

Everything looks wonderful! Congrats on a successful nesting. :)

cupcakegrl said...

So adorable, well done! Where'd you get the sweet alphabet cards?

katem said...

The alphabet cards are from Land of Nod. I totally just bought them because the "g" was a goat....