Anyway, so, wow. Dallas county went blue, but Tarrant County (where Fort Worth is) went overwhelmingly red. Our house, however, is blue as blue could be.
So we were elated last night, to put it mildly.
We have a friend who did some work for the Obama campaign and she invited us to the Democratic Party victory celebration at a downtown hotel. First, we all went to dinner. Dinner mostly involved a lot of checking of the iphones and watching various news and polling sites fail to load because of all the traffic they were getting.
We arrived at the hotel around 8pm, just as most of the polls were closing on the east coast. Here are a few pictures (taken by our friends) in the hotel lobby:
Here are a few pictures (taken by our friends) from inside the ballroom:
Shortly before the polls on the West Coast closed, Virginia was called for Obama. Doing some quick math, we realized that California, Oregon, and Washington alone would put him over the top. At that point, CNN put up a second-by-second countdown to the polls closing in the West. The whole room counted down, shouting out each number. As soon the polls closed, CNN called the election for Obama.
I cried. I can't believe it; I couldn't ever believe it all along. It just seemed too impossible, too good to be true, too good for us, too different from all that came before. All the big problems and great challenges still remain, but it really, really does feel like a brand new day.
We raced home, listening to McCain's speech on the radio, and then catching Obama on TV as we made it home in time.
That speech was amazing: full of beautiful sentences, heartfelt emotion, and honest truths. Oh, how we've missed all that.
I teared up again this morning while driving to work when they played excerpts from last night. And then I came home, and Mike and I watched the speech again.
Dear Obama: Please don't let us down. We believe. We need you. We are ready.
2 comments:
Your neighbours to the north congratulate you and share your elation for the blue victory. That man is the last best hope this sorry world has.
Kate,
I was with you through your whole posting, feeling the excitment of all of you in that hotel on election night . . . basking in the thrill of a once unimagined victory. You worded it beautifully (as usual) and I share your fears and hopes for the future of America and the world.
With love and pride,
Michigan Mom
Post a Comment