Friday, March 28, 2008

San Diego

We spent last week in sunny San Diego. I forget how bright the sun is when it really shines. Also, what my shadow looks like.

Anyway, first we went to the desert to see the wildflowers blooming. Driving up there, we drove past many of the areas that were burned in the fires last October. It was a little strange, since a gentle, downy, green spring grass was growing on all the hillsides. It made things not look so bad. And then you noticed that the trees were all charred and leaf-less. At one point we drove by the place where the fire had crossed the freeway and I just realized how big a fire had to be to burn down one hillside, cross eight lanes of freeway, and burn up the other hillside despite the best efforts of the fire department. Big.

But the wildflowers in the desert were so pretty. Also, so atypical, compared to how the desert looks the rest of the year. I am not really a desert fan, but this really was very scenic. We got up early one morning in time to see the sun rise and get in a hike before the heat of the day. Here are some pictures from that morning:Also, on the hike we saw a cloud shaped like a fish:We also hung out in San Diego, spending time with our favorite two vegan political theorists and my family from San Francisco. My allergies were bothering me a lot in San Diego, so I wasn't feeling the picture vibe quite so much [also, I noticed in my pictures from the desert that I haven't quite figured out how to adjust for bright sun. I'll be working on that, I guess. . . .].

I did manage to take a few pictures, though:

Mike getting a lesson from my grandmother on how to make margaritas.Cinnamon rollsSucculentsBaby Emma [isn't she adorable?]The scholar hard at work.And then we came back to Seattle. And it snowed.

3 comments:

wally said...

So you're the ones who stole my ape! I'm totes mad. She didn't even bring me any margaritas OR those delicious looking cinnaminamon rolls. She did bring me a joke.

One of my girlfriends lives in Texas. I wonder if you will meet her. Sniff her butt for me, will you?

wally.

Anonymous said...

Fish clouds for breakfast!

--Jen Em

katem said...

I'm not sure the fish cloud is a recurring event! And I'm hoping that butt-sniffing isn't, either. . . . Also, Wally, do you know how BIG Texas is? We might not be anywhere near your friend!