Wednesday, October 10, 2007

SFO

I spent last weekend in San Francisco, enjoying the lovely hospitality of my aunt and uncle and spending time with my good friend Marianne.

Since we were both just in town Friday-Sunday, we had to make the most of every day (meaning: we walked so much every day that our feet ached at night). On Friday afternoon, we set out to explore the Embarcadero, the ferry building, and Lombard Street.

We started our walk at the ferry building, which is like a temple to delicious foods. Here is a picture of some mushrooms (yes, there was a store that sold only mushrooms).There was also a great-looking cheese store, but I didn't actually get a chance to sample any of their products.

From the ferry building, we walked along the water for a bit.After that, we turned away from the water and walked up several steep hills to get to Lombard Street (a serious tourist attraction). I think Lombard Street is famous for being the crookedest (most winding) street in the United States. The street itself is pretty long, but the notable portion is actually quite short. Here is a picture (granted, not the greatest picture, but, come on, it's a street).Saturday, Marianne and I woke up early and were off to go to Beserkeley to visit my brother. Actually, it wasn't so beserk at all. Joined by his girlfriend, the four of us had a very lovely breakfast and then Eric, Marianne, and I set off to explore the Berekely farmers' market. This was like the a farmers' market to end all farmers' markets - there were your usual farmers' market staples like basil, flowers, and apples; but there was also fresh pasta, avocados, cheese, himalayan food, chili peppers, more heirloom tomatoes than you could count, starfruit, and edible flowers for your salads. The variety was amazing - and it was all so delicious.After our farmers' market adventure, we rode the train back to the city, rested for a bit, and then went off to the yarn store. Although I like my seattle yarn store quite a lot, I was rather impressed with my aunt and cousin's local yarn store. (We also visited another yarn store duing our San Francisco travels, but I found that one less friendly, less well-organized, and much more overwhelming).

Saturday night we cooked a delicious dinner from our farmers' market haul. We also made apple pie.And Eric joined us.Sunday, we had to cram in a few last minute San Francisco must-sees. We began the morning with a trip to get my new favorite coffee cake at one of my aunt's favorite coffeeshops. Then, we headed out to see a view of the city.Then, we headed down to Chrissy Field to take their dog for a walk near the Golden Gate Bridge. The weather this weekend was absolutely beautiful, so we had a nice, warm, sunny walk. Here are some pictures from the walk.
The bridge:Alcatraz:Marianne and me:My relatives' dog, Jake:A puppy we encountered (I couldn't resist!):After the walk, we went for super-yummy burritos. I love burritos!

And then I flew back to Seattle - where I've been exhausted all week. I wonder why . . . .

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It was indeed a very good time in San Franscisco. I feel compelled to add one event to the list: the Castro Street Fair, where we got free compact flourescent light bulbs and much advice from drag queens. Good times.

Anonymous said...

On my first trip to SF, I saw the 'fortune cookie factory' in Chinatown. I still remember it - very cool!

http://www.sanfranciscochinatown.com/attractions/ggfortunecookie.html

MD

katem said...

I've never been to the fortune cookie place - sounds great!

Marianne - mmmm. I did forget that. Clearly my memory is fueled only by photographs. . . .