To celebrate the first day of summer, yesterday I went hiking with some friends.
We left Seattle in the gray mist, climbed over Snoqualmie Pass, and found the sun. On the east side of the mountains, it was 80 degrees and there was not a cloud in the sky! Happy summer, indeed!
We went up the
Stafford Creek trail toward Navajo Pass. The trail is lovely, running up the valley just above the creek. The whole hike is through old growth forest. The hike also had a decidedly eastern Sierra feel to it - dust, shale, pines, the creek, and the super-bright sun.

The only difference was the butterflies - I think the part of the Sierras that I know best might be too high for many butterflies, since I can't recall seeing them in the numbers I see them in the Cascades. Yesterday was no exception.

At the head of the valley, we left the trail and hiked up a very steep slope to play in a lingering patch of snow (otherwise the entire trail was totally snow-free). We didn't hike as far as the junction at four miles that the article mentions, so I guess we probably went about 3.75 miles up the official trail before we began our cross-country adventure.

There were some great views!


No comments:
Post a Comment