It was a wonderful wedding, with balloons, bubbles, letters read aloud, and much joking and laughter. Many of the principals found themselves crying at one point or another. Koji, whose parents own a cake store, actually put on a chef's hat and jacket and served the cake (I'm not joking -- that's really him serving the cake, which was delicious). Ryoko and Koji were married in front of a small wading pool which we were politely asked not to swim in. I know that Kate would have loved it, and I was disappointed not to be able to bring her. Here are some pictures:









Here Ryoko signs the traditional marriage contract, which is known in Japanese as a "ketubah." (For the record, I thought of that caption during the wedding, and I almost started laughing at a really inappropriate moment. She's actually signing the "proof of marriage"--kekkon shoumeisho--provided by the venue).
5 comments:
Loved the Ketubah reference!
It brought back such wonderful memories - of Fukuoka, Ryoko and her wonderful family - as I looked at these pictures and read your commentary.
Thanks for posting this!!
Love, Dad
beautiful! another wonderful memory for the archives!
11/9.... here you come!lovancho
Mike,
What a lovely wedding and so nice to see Ryoko in her dress and see her handsome new husband and her parents. It sounds like a special time for them and all the guests. The parents look as young as when we met them 4 years ago.
See you soon!
love,
mom
Were there turtles in the wading pool?
The idea of "ketubah" would have cracked me up too!
You and Kate have an excellent history of your Japan sojourn, made especially readable by your writing capabilities.
I would have found it very difficult to describe my feelings were I the one leaving Japan and my friends.
I think, Mike, you were a great representative of the Fulbright program, and as I've said before you and Jenny continue to honor your surname.
Love,
G.
Post a Comment