Sunday, October 29, 2006

San Diego

Quick weekend jaunt down to San Diego for my great-aunt’s memorial service. The memorial service was really nice, and I enjoyed spending the rest of the weekend with my family.

I didn’t say anything about my aunt’s death when it happened in September because I wasn’t quite sure what to say and the thought of receiving sympathy makes me uncomfortable. However, I guess I feel a little obliged to say something here, especially since I declined to speak (twice) at the actual memorial service.

Here’s a picture of my aunt Toni, taken just before we left for Japan last year.Toni was my grandfather’s younger sister. When I was young, she often took me to museums, the symphony, plays, etc. She took me to see my first performance of “Fiddler on the Roof.” Toni loved to read, and in the month before her death gave me this book, As a former New Yorker, she really valued “culture”—and, truth be told, she was probably more than a little starved for it in San Diego. She was also the only one I knew growing up who declined to read the local rag of newspaper. Sure, others complained, but she actually subscribed to The Los Angeles Times. From her, I learned that you didn’t have read the newspaper of the town where you lived. Considering my habits now, I’d say that was a pretty important lesson.

At her memorial service, I learned a lot more. I knew she’d served in the WACS, but not how many medals or commendations she’d received or that she’d been nominated to officer candidate school. I also had no idea that she had been a founding member of the Hadassah chapter of North San Diego County. My uncle Leon died when I was in late elementary school, so I don’t have much memory of their relationship. However, all of her friends spoke about how deeply they’d loved each other, how they’d truly been soulmates. My aunt was also a teacher for many, many years, mostly teaching second grade. One of her friends suggested that Toni was probably now teaching a class of all the young ones who had passed before their time. I really like that image.

In other weekend events, I managed to walk on the beach 2.5 times (the .5 is from a meal I ate at a beachfront restaurant). Here are some seals enjoying the sun:I also got to see my three aunts, none of whom I’d seen since my return from Japan, so that was great. My grandparents, my mom, and brother were all well.

My grandmother

(I have no idea who or what Daylin is)

I also snuck in a quick Friday afternoon visit to see baby Emma, who is just two weeks old.

Isn’t she lovely? And so tiny!

Also, in other news, today begins the one-month countdown to Mike’s return! I can’t wait!

2 comments:

Shaney said...

Great post, Kate. Your great-aunt sounds like a really cool person.

Anonymous said...

Kate,
I loved hearing about Aunt Toni. She sounds like quite a lady. I am glad you posted about her. Loved the pictures. Can't wait to see you soon!

Michigan Momma