Monday, May 22, 2006

Slow Days

Well, the winter cold has left us, and the pre-rainy season warmth and clouds have descended. Every now and then, we get a really nice day (like last Sunday), but most days are either cloudy or wet. But at least it’s warm!

We haven’t been doing too much. In part, this is because I hurt my foot:But the bandage will come off on Thursday, so hopefully I’ll be back to normal—and running—then.

In the meantime, I’ve been reading lots of books (no reviews, sorry) and knitting some. I’ve made two hats for no babies in particular. The green one on the left was an attempt to use up that strange shade of green that I bought in a moment of weakness. Also, although I measured my row gauge, this hat still turned out shorter than I'd intended. I'll definitely have to work on that before I start making things like sweaters. The yellow one on the right was an attempt to sort out how one shapes a ribbed hat at the top. I did better than last time, but I wouldn’t say that I’ve figured this out this out totally. I also played with knitting a flower, which was hard, but turned out quite nicely.




On Saturday we went into Tokyo. I found a new place to buy used obi (kimono belts) for cheap.

We also found a decent Mexican restaurant. By this I mean Mexican food that is comparable to what one would find in Seattle, but nowhere near as good as what one can find in Southern California.

Also, we saw some dogs in Tokyo.Yes, those dogs are wearing sunglasses. Who knew?

Clifford is apparently doing a campaign for Tokyo Metro.

On Sunday, my friend Daniella and I dressed up in kimono. A kimono store here in Tsukuba was running a promotion where you could pay a little to dress up in a kimono and get your picture taken. The store was beautiful, and they did the whole dress-up thing, with all the kimono undergarments and wraps. Although I’d been told that wearing a kimono was uncomfortable, I didn’t find it to be so – although it was a warm, with all the layers on. This was really fun!

Sorry that these pictures are a little blurry. We don't have a scanner, so the above are pictures of pictures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pix!

Did you choose your kimono because its colors were compatible with your toe bandage?

Dr. Scholl

P.S., Glad you are on the mend!!