Thursday, May 25, 2006

After Leaving Kita-senju... Liveblogging the TX

I recently purchased a new computer -- a Mac. My old computer was experiencing substantial difficulties, and considering the importance of a computer to my research and my private life (I have really come to rely on my computer to keep in touch with my friends and family), I decided to buy a new one.

One of the advantages of my new computer is that its ability to establish wireless internet connections is much better than my previous computer. Thus, I have discovered that there is actually an internet connection on the Tsukuba Express, the train line we ride to get to Tokyo. It is currently being tested, and the connection is a little spotty, but it is free (since I signed up as a "test user") and very cool.

Right now it is 8:50 am, and Kate and I are riding the Tsukuba Express all the way to the Akihabara Terminal. There, we will change trains and head to the National Diet Library, where I will do research and Kate will read. We will meet our friend Daisuke for lunch (Nagu's father, who works in the government, close to the library), and then we will split up in the afternoon with me continuing to research and Kate exploring. This evening we will meet at a university in Tokyo, where a professor I like will be giving a talk (in English). Another academic I know characterized this professor's talks as being "like stand-up comedy," so I am excited.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wi-fi on the TX. That is the most awesome thing ever. The Japanese know how to build a train.