I know, we posted less after returning from
Kyoto.
Oh well.
This post is just a random hodge-podge of things.
First, some pictures of the gardens at the house where we stayed. The first is of the nakaniwa, the square outdoor garden around which the house is built. Yes, that is snow in the foreground. The second picture is of the garden in the side-yard.

Second, on New Year’s Eve, around 11:30pm we set out on a walk with our friend and his mother. Our first stop was at a Buddhist temple and rang the bell once to welcome in the New Year. (Our camera wasn't working as planned for the second picture here, but it is kind of a cool shot, anyway - and a nice view of the hat I made!).
We are sort of unclear as to the significance of the bell-tolling, but we think that only 108 people could ring the bell, related to the 108 troubles/anguishes (we are unclear on the translation of this word. And by “we,” I mean Mike) recognized in Buddhism. Bells are only rung on New Year’s Eve, and they have a low, deep, gong-y sound. And they are loud. In the clear night air, we could hear the bells echoing from other temples nearby.
Our second stop was at a Shinto shrine, where our friends lined up with others to make the first temple visit of the new year.
At both places, we were offered this sweet, milky, unrefined sake that is typically served on New Year’s Eve.
Also, one embarrassing shot of each of us (TFT here, baby!):
Me, marching(?) to the temples on New Year’s Eve
Mike, eating mochi on a stick (another traditional way to eat mochi).
2 comments:
Looks suspiciously like meatballs that Mike is eating.
As I type, I am printing agedashi tofu recipes in your honor...
katem:
I know it is probably time consuming to make these entries, but I want you to know how much I enjoy them all! Great narrative and wonderful pictures!!
You could get a job as a travel writer for the Japan Tourist Bureau (if there is such a thing...)
MD
Post a Comment