Monday, November 07, 2005

Host Family

In the summer of 1994 I went to Japan for six weeks on a Youth For Understanding exchange program. I was placed with the Nejime family in Fukuoka, and their warmth and kindness was an outstanding introduction to this country.

The Nejime's have two children: Ryoko, who is 28 and teaching English in Fukuoka, and Hiroaki, who is working as a construction site supervisor in Chiba Prefecture, not too far from us. This weekend Ryoko came to Tokyo to visit her brother and her boyfriend, and I got to see the whole gang as well. We had a great time, and of course they all loved Kate. This is a picture of Me, Kate, Rokyo, and her boyfriend Koji.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How nice to see a picture with you and Ryoko (and her boyfriend...)

I have such warm feelings about her and her wonderful family: hosting her for a short time in the US and then having a wonderful stay in their home in Fukuoka when we went to Japan in 2002 (I think that was the year...)

Did Ryoko enjoy meeting Groucho, the cozy cat?

MD