Thursday, September 22, 2005

Knitting

Knitting in Tokyo was fun. The women – Americans, Canadians, Australians, and Japanese were all very nice. The Australian woman has a great knitting blog, too. The meeting was bilingual, and it was really fun to see the projects everyone was doing. I’d love to go back to this group. But once my evening Japanese class starts (not the one with the opening ceremonies, but the other one), I’ll have class most Tuesday nights. So, I probably won’t be able to go back until November when my Japanese class has a holiday. Also, speaking of holidays, tomorrow is another one: the start of autumn, of course.

Anyway . . . I am setting up my own group in Tsukuba. Here’s the invite, in case any of you are in the neighborhood:

Hi all,

I’d like to start a knitting group* here in Tsukuba. When I lived in Seattle, we called this a “Stitch-and-Bitch**,” but I’d be fine to call it knitting circle, too.

The basic idea is simple: every week (or every other week, depending on interest) we would get together for about two hours, have a little snack, drink a little tea, and work on our projects.

No project? No problem! The knitting circle would be open to those wanting to learn to knit, too. I only started knitting a year ago – and six scarves later – I’m still going. I have some reference books, and I feel that I could teach people the very basics (enough to get going on a scarf). I can also send you some advice on needles and yarn for your first project, so that you’ll come ready to begin at our first meeting.

Let’s have our first meeting at my house in Matsushiro (near Doho Park and the Suwa Hotel) on Monday evening October 3rd at 7pm. At this meeting, we can talk about a regular time/day and a regular place (perhaps closer to Tsukuba Center?).

I’ll send you directions when you reply to this email.

Can’t wait to meet you!

--

*If you’re not a knitter, feel free to bring your other needle crafts (cross-stitch, needle-point, embroidery, crochet) – or really, any other portable craft (boatbuilding, etc).

**Of course, men are welcome as well!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want a the t-shirt that reads stitch n bitch.. reminds me of shake and bake...
hmm. i'm hungry now.

Anonymous said...

What a fun idea! What I want to knit a boat? I could do two things at once.

Seriously, I hope you have a fun time with this.

Richard