Thursday, September 22, 2005

Art Update

So, my first day of art volunteering went well. It was fun – I was at school for the whole day: I I read the morning story (Make Way for Ducklings, to honor my Boston past), helped with spelling, and then did my art lesson. We made flags that showed things we liked. Here are our projects:

And here are some sample lines from class:
"Please do not sit on the scissors."
"Please do not wave the scissors around."
[a note about the scissors: being children’s safety scissors, they are not really that sharp. Still, in a country where – until today – I did not have health insurance, the waving the scissors in the air as I walked around did make me a little nervous]
"Done? You're not done. You have a blank piece of paper in front of you."
"No, you can't make a flag of things you hate. We are thinking positively."

Next week, we’ll be starting on a building a model city with yogurt containers and juice cartons. I had originally thought I’d save this project for later, but the junior kids are learning map skills and direction-giving in social studies, so it fits in perfectly. We’ll paint buildings next week, and assemble the city the following week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

love it. i take it you used ice cream cones as an example of something one might put on one's flag.

Anonymous said...

I miss teaching after reading this !!!! How delightful. Send pics of the little foreigners.... I'm going to go color in my coloring book now.
love you and glad that all's well!

katem said...

Regarding the ice cream . . .yes, well, if you look carefully, you can even pick out my example. This week, I didn't make any examples, just to mix things up a bit . . .