I may have this volunteer gig teaching art one day per week at the international school here in town. This has potential as a really fun job. However, I am a little nervous because I am, like, the least artistic person I know (have you seen my knitting lately?).
Also, I will be teaching children ranging from grades 1-6 in one big class. So, not only would I have to come up with activites, I`d need them to be ones that could interest children at different developemental stages.
What to do? I tried to think back on what I did for art in elementary school . . . and I drew a total blank. I think this may have been because I went to public school in California. Wait, I think I remember someone`s mom teaching us calligraphy. Well, that`s not a lot of help.
So, dear readers, I turn to you. What art activities did you (and/or your kids) do in elementary school? What projects do you remember? What would be a fun project/lesson to do? [Basic art materials are readily available, so that`s not an issue]. Help me out here by posting some ideas in the comments section. Don`t worry too much about adapting the activity for kids at different ages; I can do that - just get me started with some ideas.
Saturday, September 10, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
My advice?
Don't let them eat the paste.
Two words: potato printing! Brian suggests that if potatoes are hard to find in Japan, you could use daikon instead. Might be a bit tricky for the littler kids, though.
I like leaf rubbings (remember the ones we made from leaves collected in Fremont in October '01?).
I remember a fun art project from elementary school. I think it was called Chalk and Milk. You dipped pastels into milk before drawing, which led to a kind of creamy pastel-ness. This required pretty heavy paper, as I recall.
Stay away from glitter...
Other ideas
1. Trace your shadow portrait on a sheet of paper
2. Mosiac. Do objects in colorful paper scraps.
3. Crayon etching. Multi-Color a paper and cover with black crayon then etch revealing the multi color
4. Outline your body on a large sheet of paper.
5. Create an alphabet from magazines and glue to board. Have students cut out different letters.
Sheila
you are VERY artistic! Remember when we used to have art time at home? you'd whip out your stash of markers and stickers and we'd muck about with crayons... good times.
we collected leaves at wellesley, too, i remember. you have great creative ideas.
unstructured art class is good for kids, too. i don't think i've ever seen anyone complain about being plopped down in front of crayons and paper. you can get the most interesting and expressive things out of them that way.
mmm... paste.
thanks, you guys (in the gender-inclusive sense of the word!)- these ideas are great. I meet with the woman from the school on Friday. I`m starting to feel better about this!
A really simple project you can do is to have the kids "draw" with glue on some heavy-duty paper or cardboard, then sprinkle glitter or colored sand over the top of it and shake the excess off. It takes a long time to dry and it's kind of messy, but it's fun.
Also, you could do the perennial favorite where you play a piece of music and tell them to draw what they hear/feel when they listen to it. I can give you tips on some music that works well for this if you want.
The only art projects I actually remember from elementary school are a) gluing popsicle sticks to milk cartons in order to make reproductions of homes in Colonial Williamsburg and b) for Christmas, gluing graham crackers to milk cartons to make reproductions of homes in Colonial Williamsburg. We never did sugar-cube models, though.
A good idea from my friend, Harvey Goldstein, a retired art teacher. He strongly recommends that you go to the website: http://crayola.com
He said that there are great suggestions by type of media, and that you can register for free and you will get monthly e-updates.
Have fun!
Richard
All good comments.. how about give each kid a mirror and do self portraits using macaroni, crayons, paint, yarn (from stitch and bitch), chalk, shoe laces, dog hair, sticks, dirt and mud.
Post a Comment