First, Father's Day and belated Mother's Day pictures. Both were very lovely!
Here's our Father's Day lunch:
Jacob's school did a little Mother's Day event. Natalie's school was out that day, so she attended, too.
My Mother's Day gift? Jewelry, of course. Modeled expertly by the gift-giver, who told me "I just gonna wear it for a little while." (Also, all my money is train-themed clothing these days. It's like a commodities investment or something.)
![]() | ![]() |
Actually, I also got a very lovely silver bracelet, but it's shockingly hard to take pictures of your own wrist without looking like you have ogre hands. So, well, you'll have to imagine (the bracelet, not the ogre hands). Possibly not helping on that front is this puppet of me that Natalie made me for Mother's Day....
In truth, I love it and hangs above my desk.
The other fun thing we did for Mother's Day was to go to the Nippori fabric district. I'm not a very skillful seamstress, although I have friends who are. I did some shopping for myself and some shopping for them. My hope is that I'll be able to make a tank top for myself and some matching pajama pants for our family. But there was lots of beautiful stuff! (There are also lots of people who have written about Tokyo fabric shopping tips; We only found the English map later in our walk through the neighborhood, but we also only went to the fourth floor of Tomato - plenty for us).
![]() | ![]() |
![]() | ![]() |
I'm really glad I got to do this - it was definitely something I wanted to see. Now I just hope I bought the right fabric for my projects!
Speaking of things that I wanted to do before we left? Show Natalie the imperial palace! The gardens are some of my favorite in all of Tokyo.
![]() | ![]() |
![]() | ![]() |
I don't know when my kids got so Japanese that taking off their shoes was a requirement of sitting on a park bench for a picnic . . . .
Japan doesn't do daylight savings, so the sun is rising here around 4:30am. Now that we've had the summer solstice, things are improving - by two minutes per day. I never, ever, ever want to hear people complain about the time change again. Ever. By evening, we are all veeeeeery tired.
![]() | ![]() |
But the next day, the kids magically have energy again.
![]() | ![]() |
![]() | ![]() |
And the parents have . . . coffee! We have discovered an amazing way to make coffee ice cubes. We take our coffee very seriously.
The coffee is required. The cozy is optional.
Mike was in DC for a week this month. That was challenging, but we managed. My biggest fear was that I'd have to take someone to the doctor - but that didn't happen. So, hey, the whole week was a total success! Here is a dinnertime picture I took of the kids when he was gone. This was early in the week: everyone is smiling and dinner looks sort of healthy and balanced (the baby doll is not part of dinner).
In closing, watch out for bears. And for children pretending to be kitty cats instead of going to bed. Both are equally harmful to your ability to enjoy a nice, quiet evening.
![]() | ![]() |




































2 comments:
Your photos and stories make it seem like I'm there in Tsukuba with you! Oh wait...
The country, the people, the fun - it is all great!
Love, Gramps
What a great post! It is so clever and beautifully written..I delight in every word...doesn't hurt that it is about my favorite grandchildren. Such fun adventures you have. And the Imperial Palace..wooo eeeee! I know not easy..but hoping worth it. By the way, How lucky I am to have such wonderful grandchildren. So wish I was there!
Love and hugs
Bubbe
Post a Comment