Compared to where we were living last time we were here, we now live much more in the center of town. We can walk to four different grocery stores, two international foods stores, the train station, and lots of local parks. I thought we'd buy / rent bikes for transportation, but we're actually so close to everything that we don't even need bikes. Although Tsukuba has a fairly suburban reputation, this is a very urban experience for us.
We are really reliant on the stroller. And there's none of that "Your kid is old enough to walk" business here. I don't know if that sort of parent-judging exists and I'm just happily oblivious, or it does exist but we're getting a pass because Jacob is on the smaller side, or if it really isn't a thing because everyone is out walking and stroller-ing all the time. We hardly ever used the stroller with Natalie once she was able to walk. But here the stroller is a daily thing.
(Some of us also adore the extremely lengthy sidewalk reconstruction / street resurfacing project that our street has been experiencing since we moved in. Others of us have started taking bets on when it will be done.)
High above the street, our apartment is reeeeeeeaaaaalllly small. And it has definitely seen better days. It's sort of like living in a dorm. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice enough dorm, a two-room suite; the kind of set-up you'd get as a college senior with a super-good lottery number and super-good luck. And I'm glad that no one seems to care too much about stained carpet or peeling wallpaper because, well, let's just say that my kids aren't, um, improving the aesthetics of the place.
Allow me to share some evidence (okay, not really, because when it looks awful, I never take pictures, so here are the kids playing. You can imagine the aftermath!):
![]() | ![]() |
![]() | ![]() |
![]() | ![]() |
The trains remain popular. Here they are in their more ordered state.
I made the kids binoculars. They resembled binoculars for all of five minutes. They they were train tunnels, microphones, bowling pins, etc.
Requisite shot of children eating spaghetti required for discussions involving children + messes:
So, yeah, most weekends find us out and about, even if we're staying in Tsukuba. We might as well get the energy out in a park rather than in the living room!
We are heavy users of the pedestrian / bike path that runs from the big park south of us, through the main part of town with the train station, and then all the way up to the university.
![]() | ![]() |
![]() | ![]() |
![]() | ![]() |
In early February, Jacob's school had a mochi-making party on a Saturday morning. It was super-cute and very fun (Mike and I are mochi experts, obviously, since we've done it once before). We are really loving Jacob's school - it has a great, friendly, kind vibe.
![]() | ![]() |
![]() | ![]() |
![]() | ![]() |
Here are Jacob and Natalie with one of Jacob's favorite teachers. It's really cute - Jacob even has a little English nickname for her (a play on her name).
Tsukuba markets itself as "Science City." Robotics are a really big deal. In fact, the pedestrian / bike path mentioned above has all these signs on it that suggests it is also a robot test zone. So I guess I should have called it a pedestrian / bike / robot path.
Until recently, however, we had yet to see any robots. Sort of a letdown, that. But then the robot expo came to town. We were walking by, happened upon it, and stopped to explore. The kids loved it, of course.
Our Tsukuba adventures aren't generally exhausting, but every now and then, Jacob will nap while we're out around town. Sleep-wise, though, we've been having some post-bedtime visits - the other night he appeared and told us he was having an emergency. Further questioning revealed the emergency to be that no one was in his room.
![]() | ![]() |
Our bedtime struggles are likely related to the fact that Jacob still naps. But we love this time with Natalie! While Jacob naps, we usually read, do schoolwork, and play games with Natalie.
Here's one kid-free adventure: Mike and I found an amazing sushi place for a lunch date!
Funny story - I had a momentary freak-out when I saw the chopsticks rest. But then I remembered the kids were in school. It's really hard to turn off the parent-of-a-peanut-allergic-kid part of your brain!
And now for the every day stuff. I've come to the not terribly profound realization that the experience of living abroad / parenting abroad is a lot like parenting itself. Which is to say, the short version (said with a smile) is that it's amazing. Full stop. The long version (and, oh, some days are soooooo long) is that it's a tremendous privilege, an experience that I'll never forget, but that it's also really, really hard sometimes. Also: amazing (cue smile).
So all the daily, regular stuff still has to get done. And all the stuff that is an ordinary bother or stressor at home becomes more so here.
For example, haircuts. No way I'm getting my own hair cut here when I can't communicate with the stylist. But, hey, getting your kids' hair cut is just as stressful! I was really worried that they'd cut off all Jacob's curls.
![]() | ![]() |
But they didn't! Hooray!
As I've mentioned before, I do A LOT of laundry. Some of this is related to the kids' schools (daily handtowels, daily changes of clothes), some of it is related to the fact that we only brought a small number of clothes for each season, and some of it is related to having a pretty weak clothes dryer. I think of our dryer more like a towel warmer - it's happy to finish the job, but it isn't going to efficiently get things dry straight from the washer (It also vents into the bathroom, which I find . . . humid). The dryer situation means that my laundry progress is constrained by what I can dry outside on our drying rack (which is, of course, determined by the weather). For maximum outdoor drying / sun exposure, I need to get the clothes out on the balcony as early as possible. So laundry is often the first thing I do when I wake up. Luckily, I have a trusty assistant who is VERY interested in pushing the buttons on the washing machine.
![]() | ![]() |










































3 comments:
How fun to read! Thanks for sharing this with your fans.
Gramps
Kate, I loved this post..I loved them all but this one I felt like I was hanging out with you guys..enjoying it all! Thank you again for keeping us up to speed with your life. I will be smiling all day. Those two kids of yours are so incredibly precious! They have adjusted so well...you all have actually! Have fun and glad Spring is coming!
Warmly,
Bubbe
Love reading about your adventures! Hope to see you all this summer and at the wedding!
Aunt Cheryl
Post a Comment