Friday, January 08, 2016

Train Fun (sushi version)

I would totally think this is some dumb, slick gimmick devised for tourists who would eat at this sushi place and the return home telling stereotypical tales about Japan. And all that might be true. Except this was at a restaurant quite far off the tourist track and we were the only obvious foreigners in this place (although I understand that this restaurant chain did start in sparkly Tokyo). I don't really know what it's all about.

But I do know that it was awesome. And I won't even tell you how cheap it was.
I will mention that we've had more than a few sub-optimal meals out, owing to our picky and food-allergic kids. We generally find Italian (meaning quick-serve cheese pizza) to keep the kids happy and safe. This is . . . not delicious. Let's just say that I was ready to eat some sushi for lunch now that the kids are in school all day.


Of course, you can just pluck your dishes from the rotating track on the lower level - or you could order from the menu (via the tablet at the table) and then a mini shinkansen brings your sushi right to your table. Related question: why would anyone ever just grab what was going around???
(If you get this via email, click here for the video.)


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I do remember going to a forerunner of this - pre-Shinkansen - when in Japan in 2002. Are the plates still color-coded to determine pricing? We'll have to go here in 2016!

Love, Gramps

Anonymous said...

I have delicious memories of the conveyor belt sushi restaurants. Quite heavenly as I remember and bargain basement prices are quite appealing!! Glad you and Mike have some adult time to explore. We will be there!!

Glad things are working out!

Love,
Bubbe Brenda

Anonymous said...

That looks so fun -- it might even tempt your kids to try sushi!

Hugs,
Joanna