Sooooo.....we are back in Japan. More fish for breakfast! More Fish for Breakfast?! (We'll see!). Same town as before - which, in ten years, has EXPLODED. It looks nothing like it did before. Even then, we had the sense that the rice fields that ringed the town and separated the town from Tokyo wouldn't last long, given that a high-speed train had just been built that connected the town to Tokyo. And we were right! So much development - so many houses, so many high-rises; in fact, it's hard to believe that Japan has a shrinking population, looking at what we see here (and that's the difference between data and anecdata, indeed).
Let's begin at the very beginning. Mike got a grant - we got the grant notification last spring, so this has been a long time coming. In some ways, it's been great - we were able to plan ahead and make some very careful cell phone purchases (such that we're able to use our US-bought phones here), prepare the kids nicely (and work everything out with the schools at home and here), and sort out my work situation (again, super). But it's also been a very stressful near-year of preparation. The biggest thing we needed was to sort out our house back in Texas. But we did. It was sort of last-minute, sort of rushed, required a lot of faith and trusting in the universe that we would find the right people. But things came through.
Anyway, I feel as if I have enough knowledge to write a book on the all things one needs to consider for moving a family abroad for an academic sabbatical. It might, like, be a non-fiction horror story. I jest. Kinda. Anyway, short version: we are here and this is working (for the moment / knock on wood) because of the kindness / help / support / accommodations provided by a large number of people and institutions. And I'm extremely thankful for that.
Time for some pics! So, we left the US just before Christmas. We flew out very early in the morning on 12/21. Here we are chilling on the Virgin America plane to LAX.
Just in case there was any doubt about our final destination:
We had a long layover in LA - my mom was driving up from San Diego to whisk us away from the airport with a relaxing trip to a nearby park, a picnic, running and getting the wiggles out, seeing my grandmother and some more family (some LA-based, some driving up from San Diego), and then getting back on the plane. Some of that even worked! It was not, um, relaxing. But the layover did pass quickly. I imagine that getting a flat tire on a bridge is perhaps the worst place to get a flat. The second-worst place might be a super-security conscious major airport (No! Stopping! Ever!) during the holiday travel season. So, yeah.... Also, neither Mike nor I had ever changed a tire. Good news! You can learn this on YouTube (props to Saab for having a woman starring in this video!) - and just-in-time-learners are certainly motivated learners! We also benefited greatly from some help from the LAPD. Like I said, not relaxing - but life's about the stories, right? Anyway, we made it to the park, ate our burritos, and even ran around a bit.
Then we rushed back to the airport (LAX traffic, you never fail to disappoint!), and hopped on the plane to Tokyo. Here's a before shot. Everything about this picture is true.
Just the ladies:
Here we are on the plane (Singapore Airlines). Whatever you've heard about the friendly, impeccable, welcoming service was true - and more. The cabin attendants learned our kids names, gave them little toys, brought them their meals first, handed out extra juice and ice cream, and even stopped by in baggage claim to say goodbye to them personally. Mike: "It's like American airlines aren't even trying."
I had so much anxiety about this flight. Much of this stemmed from something I still regard as one of my lower moments as a parent: a red-eye flight back from Hawaii during which Ms. Natalie didn't sleep a wink and another passenger cursed at us. Every time Mike would suggest a flight longer than the bare minimum required to visit our families, I would hyperventilate, curl into a little ball, and hide (I was easy to find because of all the hyperventilating). Luckily, packing up your house for renters, packing for your family to live abroad for seven months, wrapping up work projects, trying to do a little holiday celebrating, saying goodbye to friends, and, um, living didn't leave a lot of time to dwell on the coming horror.
Was it horrible? No, really, truly, not at all. I mean, it wasn't easy, but it wasn't let-me-just-open-the-emergency-exit-door-right-now, either. The kids slept for a good chunk of the time. They watched movies, they played with toys, and they played with each other. We didn't even use all my airplane toys (so I've now sequestered them for the return flight).
What was bad? Jet lag with kids. Friends, this is NO JOKE. We'd done the Hawaii to Texas thing and we thought it was hard. Nope. Until you've done a full day-night reversal with no other adults to help whatsoever, you have no idea. Or at least we didn't. I mean, as an adult, you wake up at the wrong time, you read a book, watch a movie, take a nap later, whatever. None of that is true with kids. The first night, we stayed in an airport hotel and the kids woke up at 1am. We were first in line for the breakfast buffet at 6am. Yeah, that was a long five hours that Mike spent exploring the hotel lobby with them.
But, hey, he earned some fish for breakfast!
(See? Truth in advertising!)
Also, with two kids, as soon as one would make some progress sleeping on the new time, the other one would scream and wake up the sleeper. It was really, really hard. Also, my kids are noisy. They have no experience with apartment living: they stomp around, they jump, they shout. And then they were doing all these things in our new place at 3 in morning. Netflix was our friend; we are slowly weaning the kids off this now.
I'm convinced that our neighbors hate us and that we are but one bloodcurdling scream away from being asked to move (or leave the country). On the plus side, maybe we'll provide some valuable social glue as the whole apartment building gathers for a large party to celebrate our departure....
More soon!
p.s. I now remember one other reason I stopped blogging: frustration with blogger. I'd actually love to switch to a wordpress design, but I feel trapped here because of the auto-email subscriptions that have been set-up for less tech-savvy family members. Anyway, if you know me professionally, you'll know that this is not my best design work. So it goes.
















3 comments:
Thank you for your storytelling, your honesty and your sense of humor - and the pictures! I'm glad things are settling down.
Gramps
I am reading with tears in my eyes. I sure missed this blog and I miss all of you already!! We thank you for your candor, your sense of humor, your devotion, your word artistry and a million other things. We loved seeing the kids at their 3 am awakenings (as it was 5 pm here but so glad that that phase has passed).
The worst is over now just put your feet up and enjoy the ride.
Big hugs and love to the little troopers!!!
Love,
Bubbe
Kate,
What fun to read your blog- keep it up. Hoping everyone has settled into the new time zone and I'm sure your neighbors will come to love you even if it does take a little time.
Sara Zwickl
Post a Comment