Sunday, December 15, 2013

Icy Days in Texas

Remember when it was 112 degrees here? So do I, just a few short months ago. And all too soon, it will be 112 degrees again. So I was sort of determined to enjoy the winter weather. Unfortunately, I was also scheduled to be at a local conference Thursday and Friday. I went to the conference (over in Arlington) on Thursday, but watched the weather very carefully. When I left Arlington, it was misting; it was raining by the time I reached Fort Worth; and it was starting to sleet just as I pulled into the garage. Perfect timing! Although, it did take 1.5 hours to get home . . . . Anyway, I heard the ice hitting the windows all night long. I pretty much knew there was no way I was going to be able to get back on the road safely for the second day of the conference. Or you, know, the rest of the weekend.

 (Friday morning)

 (Saturday afternoon. Yes, those cars are all stuck!)

We snuggled and cuddled and did lots of cozy and wintry things.





Natalie finally got to try hot chocolate. She's a fan.


And, well, what's an ice storm without an injury? Tears were shed, cream was applied, and (a week later) the healing is nearly complete.


Jboy was no fool. He stayed inside, in his jammies. We did, of course, put the kid to work, both cooking and cleaning.


JBoy sez: NO WAY!

Monday, the kids' school was closed; our employer opened late. Mike had to go in since he was giving his final exam that day. I was, luckily, able to work my hours before he had to leave the house.Talk about juggling! Everything is back to normal now, although thanks to some cold nights, there are still patches of ice and snow around.

Here's Natalie in a too-small sweater she dragged out. But it is a hand-knit, so, thus, deserving of a picture. Second pic is just an ordinary day around here!


What else have we been up to? Here's Natalie pretending to be a raccoon (don't ask - at least no actual garbage-eating was involved. I think.). Also, this picture (with the short sleeves) was taken less than 24 hours before the storm began. Texas!


We also had a few lingering days of Chanukah here at home. This is Natalie with her banana-pretzel stick-marshmallow menorah. No burn danger there!


Here's Natalie with a few of her presents - tutu, headband, toy watch: 

 
Jacob color-coordinates:



Jacob also is now 11 months old. It blows my mind to think he'll be a year in less than a month! I don't have to wonder where the time went - there were plenty of sleepless nights, loads of laundry, giggles, smiles, and JOY. It seems short and long all at the same time. 



Jacob is so smiley, so happy, so full of love. He's, paradoxically, a more mellow baby than his sister, but also a less good sleeper. He loves to laugh. He's got the da-da-da sound down. He's not that into finger foods, but the boy can put some baby food away.


In advance of his 11-month anniversary (but on my birthday), Jacob got tubes in his ears. What can I say? We know how to party! Actually: it was the best birthday present ever - Jacob did great! We'd been through tubes deal before with Natalie, so, in that sense, it was less stressful; but Jacob was much younger, so that made it feel much more fraught.



Mike cooked me a very lovely make-up birthday dinner this week. SO YUM.

 

 (Not actual birthday dinner, but you get the idea)

We're headed off this week on a series of adventures. Or misadventures. We hope you stay warm (unless you're in Hawaii in which case, please), and we'll see you in 2014 (gulp!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww!!! What a great, warm, homey post of the life of the Strausz/Marshall family. Love seeing the kids so happy and Natalie looks so cozy in her winter coat..feel like I am snuggling her! Can't believe that Jacob is getting such a big boy already! We will be there to have a belated celebration for Jacob. Lots of love to all, Bubbe