Saturday, June 15, 2013

Weekend at Polly's

Last weekend, my youngest cousin graduated high school. I perpetually think that I graduated high school about five years ago, so being at someone else's high school graduation was a bit weird. It got weirder when I realized that I am twice the age of the graduates.

Anyway, here's my cousin, way back when she was a flower girl at our wedding. DUDE, I know!

 Awww, also something I never noticed until this moment was that my grandfather is in the mirror in this picture.

One more, because I can't resist:


Here's the graduate today (well, a few days ago!) modeling the scarf I knitted for her:


Jacob and I flew up to San Francisco to celebrate with her. Mike and Natalie stayed behind, having already had their San Francisco trip earlier. I was a little worried about flying alone with Jacob, but things actually went really smoothly. 


Well, we did have a high-altitude poopsplosion on the outbound leg (on take-off, of course). So we were those guests who arrive and immediately have to do laundry. Nothing like visiting family, right? At least I came bearing gifts. Here's a shot of the guilty party - note the strategic sweatshirt placement!


San Francisco was San Francisco-like for us. Beautiful on Friday:


(If you're a very determined squinter, you can just make out the Golden Gate Bridge in the top picture.)

And then cold, cloudy, and misty-rain for the garden party on Sunday. Of course, it was also about 30 degrees cooler there. But since we were so much further north, it was lighter longer. The colder / longer days combo totally threw me.

Jacob got to meet Pumpkin:
Actually, Jacob was pretty indifferent to Pumpkin, but Pumpkin was really into Jacob. Pumpkin would come over and lick and sniff Jacob; Jacob was totally unfazed. 

Jacob and I got some good hang-out time with Polly early on Saturday morning. Early is the time we keep - even more so when we fly west!


Jacob was a good sport, napping when and were the situation allowed:


Saturday, I left Jacob with my parents and went to Chinese food with my brother and his girlfriend. We ate well!

The graduation was at the Palace of Fine Arts at 6pm. Totally child-friendly, right? I tried to find a sitter - I called five different people whose names friends had been generous enough to share. No dice. So we made the best of it. Jacob fell asleep about midway through the ceremony. But you know what graduations have a lot of? Clapping. Yeah, so the sleeping didn't really last . . .Jacob was actually really, really, really good until the end. 

The cousins at the ceremony:

Everyone at the ceremony:

I just love this picture (photo credit to my aunt Pru):


The next morning, Jacob had a bath in the sink. Clearly, this wasn't his usual spa experience:

And then we were off to meet my good friend from college and her family. We hadn't seen each other for seven years! But we picked right back up!


Her kids are, of course, totally adorable:



The graduation party was in the afternoon. The food was great, the family happy, and the graduate herself was lovely!



Before I sign off, I just have to share some shots of the scarf I made. This is actually one of my quicker knits, taking me only a whopping three weeks (hah!):



All in all, it was a lovely weekend.I wish I'd been able to stay longer, so that things would have been a little less hectic, but so it goes.  After his exhausting weekend, Jacob slept almost the whole way back to Texas, just waking up when the plane landed.

No comments: