(Also, note the part I'm leaving out about getting a sinus infection, an asthma flare-up, an ear infection, and pinkeye six weeks post-partum. Can't say I'd recommend that. But if cute were medicine, I'd be set.)
So after my mom left and we had a few days on our own, my best friend from college, Miso, came to town. There's nothing like the easy comfort of old friends. I can't say we did much. Well, I think we took a walk around the neighborhood one day. And we went out to eat. And, um, there was some knitting. Speaking of knitting, Miso brought Jacob a lovely vest. Here's our boy, handsome in some handspun!
Our time together, although brief, was so relaxing that I really didn't take pictures. Except, well, there's this one . . . because you know what love is? Love is these brownies baked, from scratch, start to finish, by your best friend while you napped the afternoon away with a newborn on your chest.
I know. I KNOW! And, in the middle of all that, she even went and woke up Natalie from her nap, so that our bedtime routine would be easier.
As Miso was leaving, Mike's parents were arriving. Bubbe and Grrr played lots of games with Natalie, took her on fun adventures (the park, the library, shopping, etc.), read tons of stories, and played playdough more times than is humanly possible. They also shopped for us and did our dishes! They were champs! They also got some good Jacob time in, allowing Mike and I to spend some time with Natalie, especially in the evenings. We're so grateful for their help!
Natalie also went to a birthday party at a bakery. Have you ever seen anything so sweet?
This daddy can multi-task. For real.
And then it was Purim. But, first, a look back at the basketball game and Texas Shabbat, since I finally pulled pictures off the big camera.
Okay, now Purim. Natalie's initial costume request was a butterfly. I gamely complied, making use of the great wings that Aunt Jenny had sent Natalie for her birthday; the accompanying wand and headband had seen so much use that I did a little fixing, making them more butterfly-like. For the outfit, I pulled out a fairy costume that I bought on a post-Halloween sale some years ago. Natalie loved it!
In fact, she wore it all weekend, including out to eat.
Natalie also wore her costume to the Purim carnival on Sunday. The carnival was a little overwhelming, but very sweet and fun.
In case the above picture doesn't make it clear via body language, only daddy pet the animals. Given Natalie's lukewarm feelings about the petting zoo, both Mike and I were surprised when Natalie declared she was interested in the pony rides. But Big Girl hopped right up and there and rode the (ultra-docile) pony like a champ, no fear at all.
I feel as if the above is some sort of landmark event for our native Texan. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
Post-bath self-portrait:
Can you see how soft his hair is? I love to touch it.
How are Natalie and Jacob together?
Well, Natalie is sort of like a puppy - excited, bouncy, and totally unaware of her own strength or the concept of "gentle." We're working on it. I also don't think I've used the phrase "personal space" half as much in my life as I have in the last six weeks. So far, she's pretty into him, always asking about him ("How was Jacob in the night? Did he cry? Did he spit up?") and trying to quiet him when cries ("Daddy, press the effelunt toy, press the effelunt toy," meaning this light-up elephant toy that plays a little jingle. She may be on to something; it seems to work). Here's Natalie teaching Jacob to play "golf." I have no idea....
Happy spring! Here's a shot of a daffodil in my backyard:
Dear rest of the country: Our governor may be beyond crazy, but we have daffodil buds in January and tree buds in February. Some days that seems like a decent trade-off.
Anyway, keep smiling!
2 comments:
Aside from one mysterious picture – was I wearing some kind of dress? - each picture was better than the last!!
When we start seeing pix of Natalie on a horse while wearing a cowboy hat, I'll know that 'Native Texan' thing is starting to take hold. YEE-HAW!
We had a wonderful time with y'all.
Grrr
I LOVED this post!! Not just because I was in it but because it was so filled with love, joy and goodness. Awesome that Natalie got right on that pony~!
We so loved our time with you ...such a lovely, lovely family.
Love,
Bubbe
Post a Comment