Saturday, July 23, 2011

Paris, part one

So Mike and I took, well, rather a big side trip from Detroit. Our trip was more than a year in the making - it all started when we realized that we had a ton of United Airlines miles, but weren't really living in a place where we could either spend the miles or continue to accumulate them. My theory is that miles are sort of a depreciating currency, anyway, so our plan was to use them.

Looking at the week Mike's parents had ever-so-generously agreed to watch Natalie, and the amount of miles we had, out two choices were London and Aruba. Aruba would have been lovely and relaxing, but Mike had never been to Europe, so we opted for the flight to London. We then purchased a separate flight from London to Paris (and then a return train trip from Paris to London).

This was our first time ever leaving Natalie overnight with someone who wasn't one of the two of us. Each of us have traveled some and spent some nights away from Natalie, but she always had the other one of us. We read Natalie the Berenstain Bears book about the week with the grandparents and we told her over and over that we'd be gone, but that she'd stay with Bubbe and Grr, and that then we'd come back with lots of hugs and presents. And we knew that she'd have a wonderful time with Bubbe and Grrr and that they'd take amazing and wonderful care of her. And both of those were true! Knowing that, we were able to have a really wonderful, exciting time away.

So, without further ado . . . .

Saying goodbye was hard. But I was able to soothe my soul with a lovely dinner at Tortas Frontera. We then hopped the flight to London, connected in Heathrow (an airport rivaling Narita in size in construction), and landed in Paris just before dinner. One short train ride and one long walk (thanks to getting a little lost) later, we had this view:



Breakfast the next morning was lovely. In fact, breakfast every morning was lovely - we both drank hot coffee (at the same time!) and there was no screaming and rushing to cut up food and pour milk. I'm a simple girl, really....

After breakfast, which wasn't particularly early, we set off for the Eiffel Tower with a few thousand of our closest friends. This was the one thing Mike really wanted to see, so I really wanted to make sure we did that!









After the Eiffel Tower (I'm still amazed it was supposed to be a temporary structure!), we headed out for some falafel. This place was billed as the best falafel in Paris, and it did not disappoint. Mike says it was the best falafel he's ever eaten. He's still talking about it. It was that good. No pictures, alas, as a falafel from a window counter is totally a two-handed gig.

We ate said falafel in the square in front of the Paris city hall. Talk about an amazing building.


After that, we walked to the Place des Vosages. I'd never been to this little park, and I was eager to see it since it is the oldest little park/square in Paris.





Okay, that's it for day one. Since it's late and I have to go bed, I'll offer you a little photo dessert before I pick up day two (eventually....)


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great pix! I'm looking forward to the next installment.

By the way, we celebrated your travels by giving Nonni French fries one day...

Grrr

Jay said...

Wow, I'm so happy that you guys got to take this 'little' side trip. It looks like you had a fantastic time and the photos are just lovely.