Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Weekend with Bubbe / Atlanta

So, two weeks ago, I finally got my baby-free getaway with Miso. And Bubbe got a weekend with Natalie and Mike.

Here are some Bubbe-Natalie shots. (Above, Natalie doing her camera thing).

Natalie loves her Bubbe!
While Mike, Natalie, and Bubbe played together, I had a wonderful time in Atlanta. Miso and I were nominally there for Stitches South, a knitting convention. Mostly, we were there to see each other, having missed each other in early February. We did do plenty of knitting, though - and we each took a class at the convention (I may have finally mastered turning the heel on a sock, with some thanks to Miso for some follow-up teaching).

We also spent lots of time browsing the giant marketplace. I succumbed and bought some beautiful yarn to make a sweater for myself (also, when I finally finish the sweater, I pledge to look happier than the model in that link). Miso also won a skein of yarn, which she very generously gifted to me; I plan to make a gift hat with this yarn, just to keep the good mojo flowing.On the Miso-is-amazing front, check out the gloves she made me:I know, right? The most darling part of this is that the yarn comes from Seattle, and it is called Green Lake. Be still, my beating heart.

I'm a member of a knitting social networking site (I know, right? Luckily, if you actually know me, you'll know that nerdy pursuits are, um, to be expected). When I was expecting Natalie, I joined a group on the site for other women expecting babies in the summer of 2009. Since I'm a little socially isolated here, these women have quite literally become my support group. It helps that we all have children that are the same age. And it helps that through the magical technology of message boards, we can share our pictures/stories/rants/triumphs asynchronously. And it helps that they are truly kind, wise, and wonderful women. A handful of them live in Atlanta (if I'm right, the other regional concentration is Seattle. Sigh.). Anyway, we had a little Atlanta meet-up.
Since one cannot live by yarn alone, we also ate! First, the coffeeshop where Miso and I went every day:They just don't make 'em like that in Fort Worth, you know?

As some of you might know, Mike and I are big fans of the TV show Top Chef. A few seasons ago, a chef from Atlanta made it into the final round. Miso and I went to his restaurant, specializing in local and organic food. And it was good.

Our other exciting brush with dining fame was at Peter Chang's. The New Yorker readers among you may remember the article about the mysterious peripatetic Chinese chef - we actually ate his food!And it was good. And, in a moment of exceptional spouse-hood, I actually wrapped my leftovers in a zillion layers of ziplock bags, put them in my suitcase, and brought them back for Mike (the food was all vegetarian, and it was just from the same afternoon). No leaks!

Lest you think all we did was eat (and knit!), Marianne and I also took in a little history and visited the Jimmy Carter Presidential library. On the downside, this wasn't the MLK history tour I'd perhaps envisioned; on the plus side, at least we didn't visit one (of the multiple!?) Gone With the Wind museums.The grounds of the museum were also beautiful. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised by how green and tree-y Atlanta was. I mean, there was also a fair amount of traffic and sprawl, but Atlanta also seemed green, urban, and eminently livable (especially in April!).However, at the end of the weekend, I was very happy to return to my crew:

1 comment:

Miso said...

Had such a great time in Atlanta with you! Next time, MLK history tour for sure. And more tasty food.