Here's the mother-to-be. Have you ever seen a more lovely pregnant woman?
Friday night, after Natalie had gone to bed and I'd decorated the house, I turned to decorating the cake. I put it right on the serving board, and edged that with wax paper. I brushed it again with vanilla water. I'd deliberated long and hard about frosting, assembly timing, etc. - even going so far as to consult some more serious and skillful bakers than I (however, just like in writing a book, all errors and omissions are mine, and mine alone). I was torn between a caramel-ish buttercream, and quick-set true cooked caramel frosting. I went for the quick-set because I knew the color would be a rich, lovely brown and because with the pouring and quick-set-ness, I wouldn't have to worry about chocolate crumbs getting in my frosting. True 'dat. Alas, the rather unsurprising part about quick-set frosting is that it, uh, sets quick. And I'm a pokey decorator. So this was not the best combo. I had to enlist Mike to help me apply the slivered almond feathers before the frosting set. Once I figured out, though, that I could stick the almonds in at an angle, rather than just rest them on top, things got a little better.
So, I used slivered almonds for the feathers, coconut for the bust, a snickerdoodle, half an oreo, and a chocolate chip for the eyes. The "nest" was made from pretzel sticks. In retrospect, I could have made the nest look a little neater by using some peanut butter or making a little more frosting from scratch. But it was midnight, and I was tired, so I just sort of jammed the pretzel sticks in willy-nilly. I had also reserved cake triangles to be proper ears, but I totally forgot about them until the frosting was much too hard. So the owl got a strange pretzel / almond ear. Oh well.
Next time, I might think about using a buttercream frosting, although I dislike crumbs in the frosting (I have heard about freezing the cakes or doing a crumb coat to prevent this, but I've never tried either of these strategies).
The cake overnighted again in the microwave, uncovered this time. And at the party, everyone commented how moist it was, which was a big relief since I had been pretty worried about it drying out. And the decorations weren't soggy, either.
We also had presents.
4 comments:
What an AMAZING owl cake, Kate!
Brilliant! Beautiful shower and mama to be!!
What an amazing day...you really outdid yourself this time. Fabulous from start to finish. THANK YOU!!!
Amazing cake Kate! And sounds like a wonderful shower too!
Kate,
This is such a beautiful shower! You decorated so beautifully and that cake.it could be in a magazine! and..loved that Natalie helped you decorate! We miss our little cutie...
Bubbe
Post a Comment