We also had this strawberry tart this weekend. Two things set this tart apart. First, baking your own crust - mine didn't look all that pretty (not that it mattered once the strawberries were on there), but it tasted great and had a nice, crumbly texture (even though I used less powdered sugar than the recipe called for). Second, sprinkling the freshly ground black pepper on top of the whole thing. I know it sounds weird - and it is weird - but it was also totally delicious.
Sunday, April 11, 2010
Signs of Spring
Natalie had her first swimming class this weekend. She cried a bit when we got into the pool - the water, while warm enough, is certainly colder than what she's used to. But, other than that, she was pretty good-tempered, enjoying the water, looking around, and flapping her arms in time with the swimming songs. At one point, while I was holding her and she was floating on her back, she even reached out and grabbed her foot to suck on! Totally adorable! Apparently, the first skill they teach is blowing bubbles. I tried to model this for Natalie and then let her try it, but she just kept turning her head and lifting her mouth away from the water.

Earlier in the week, we did another spring-y thing a bluebonnet photo shoot. Bluebonnets are the state flower of Texas. Also, for those botanically inclined, I think they are a type of lupine, but what do I know? Anyway, on our regular walk around the neighborhood, we pass an empty field. A few days ago I noticed that there were bluebonnets blooming in the field. It took several more days until the sun was out, the baby was well-rested, and I remembered the camera. Here are the results of my efforts:


(of course, now that I'm seeing them here, I can find about 20 things wrong with each picture. But, hey, at least we got the spirit of the moment, right?)
We also had this strawberry tart this weekend. Two things set this tart apart. First, baking your own crust - mine didn't look all that pretty (not that it mattered once the strawberries were on there), but it tasted great and had a nice, crumbly texture (even though I used less powdered sugar than the recipe called for). Second, sprinkling the freshly ground black pepper on top of the whole thing. I know it sounds weird - and it is weird - but it was also totally delicious.
We also had this strawberry tart this weekend. Two things set this tart apart. First, baking your own crust - mine didn't look all that pretty (not that it mattered once the strawberries were on there), but it tasted great and had a nice, crumbly texture (even though I used less powdered sugar than the recipe called for). Second, sprinkling the freshly ground black pepper on top of the whole thing. I know it sounds weird - and it is weird - but it was also totally delicious.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Loved seeing our Natalie in the water! She is a very brave girl!
And the bluebonnet pictures--now don't get me started! Too cute for words! Thanks for sharing Kate! The tart looked awesome--we will be sure to have fresh strawberries here in July~
Love,
Bubbe
Adorable and delightful in every way. Also: check out the song "Gulf Coast Highway," recorded by lots of people, including Nanci Griffith. I now have a line from this song in my head: "This is the only place on earth bluebonnets grow, / Once a year they come and go, in this old house here by the road."
Kate, those bluebonnet photos are beautiful! And so is Natalie!
Post a Comment