Friday, April 24, 2009

Design on a dime?

This is really more of a collecting-my-thoughts-in-one-place post than anything that might be actually interesting. But so it goes.

So Mike and I are going to buy a couch. Our very first grown-up, non-futon couch. We want it to be comfy, and we want it to be somewhat durable and somewhat stain resistant (you know, given our forthcoming addition and all). This isn't our "forever" couch - we've decided that will wait until any mini-people are past the super-stainy stage. So this is, like, a beater couch. But, in theory, a better beater than what we have going now.

This is our living room now - pretty bland, not much color, mostly a blank palette.

This is the only object that we are sort of trying to match in the living room - it hangs above the fireplace in dark brown frame with deep red undertones.Here are the sofas we are considering. Keep in mind that we are probably going to buy a sofa plus a loveseat/chair/chaise. I'm not super into matchy-matchy, but I do think the room will look better (and less graduate student haphazard) if the main pieces (at least most of them) are part of the same set.

The first is this red deal. I am SO not a red person - my prior two futon/couches were blue. But, lately, I've started to think that blue ends up looking sort of denim-y and thus frat-y. On the other hand, blue does match the picture quite nicely. But maybe red is good? A change? Some contrast? And certainly very forgiving on the stains (also, this set is very forgiving on the wallet as well). And then we could pull the room together with some navy and butter throw pillows on the couch/chairs? (thereby matching the colors from the picture.)

I don't think the woman comes with the sofa, thankfully.

Here's the red set as a room:(keep in mind that we're only buying the stuff you'd sit on - not the rug or tables or lamps or pillows) (But maybe red couches only belong in brothels?)

Out other options are a little pricer, but a little more of my "traditional" style. But maybe I should do something a little different? Or maybe I'll end up regretting taking the risk?

This is the same sofa, first in twill oliveThose pillows would have to go, obviously. I think we'd still be looking at some dark blue and yellow pillows. The green is nice and inoffensive (although in this picture, it seems awfully light for an olive - obviously, we're going to see it in person before purchasing.). I don't know, though, that the green is better match with the picture than the red. The picture has some green, but not a lot and it's not likely the same shade of green.

Here's the same one in twill indigo. This is closest to what we have now (minus the pillows, which would, again, have to go). But I worry about the whole frat house look. I also don't want the sofa to look like a giant pair of jeans. But it does match the picture quite nicely!

And then in brown microfiber:Brown is fine, and safe. Our house already has a lot of brown, between the floors, the stair banister, and the kitchen cabinets (all of which are visible from the living room). We could put any color pillows on this and probably be fine. The dark color would forgive stains, and the microfiber is also supposed to be stain resistant. The microfiber is polyester and feels like suede; I have heard mixed reviews on the durability of microfiber, but these are coming from a store with a well-known name. With it coming in brown, though, I worry that our sofa might look like some furry beast, or something. Brown also doesn't do a lot for adding color to the room - but maybe that's what accent pillows and book spines are for?

I know this is sort of a lame comparison since I don't have room shots of all the sofas. Here's a sort of generic room picture of the style of sofa of the last three:


But, well, internets, what do you think? And, please, vote since I can tell you that one of us has no real opinion beyond "comfortable" and the other one of us doesn't want to make the wrong decision for her first big new-house purchase......

[Also, it's not like these are the only choices on earth, but these are the leading contenders. The blue-and-yellow store is out, but stores like this and this and maybe this are our speed. Yes, we know about craigslist. However, the transporting-a-couch-yourself-thing seems a little daunting right now. Yes, we also know about consignment stores. However, given my allergies, it's often tough to buy used furniture, since pet dander has a way of creeping inside things and settling there. Our goals for this project are a) affordable, and b) easy.]

15 comments:

Jo Strausz Rosen said...

I like the red couch... fun to mix prints with pillows and a throw. Mixing bandana prints with checkerboard is colorful and filled with lighthearted spirit.
Make sure your cushions are reversible. Invest in a stain resistant fabric and get it seal coated so stains bead up. No reason not to invest in furniture that will last. Baby spit up cleans up easily on staincoated sofas! I love your ketubah! Nothing should be matchy matchy.. have fun mixing contemporary couches with an antique wood table that doesn't have to be protected with coasters and such... Maybe an old trunk for an end table or coffee talbe that can store toys? ottomans are also good to bring in a different texture like leather or a print... Enjoy your new home and have fun. Look through Metropolitan home and Elle Decor for ideas and then pick up copies at flea markets and ebay!

Unknown said...

I agree -- the red is awesome, and will definitely brighten up the room. Plus, endless possibilities for pillows. I also like the more modern design of the red one.

Anonymous said...

I don't have strong feelings about this; in that way I am like one of my children. I do know that my baby sister has an excellent track record however...

MD

Anonymous said...

I am totally in love with the look of the red--I think it will make the room look vibrant and exciting. Red is a stimulating color for children too. And think of the cool rug you could get! I like Jo's ideas about pillows (she knows!)and other items. I think it would be nice to float the sofa and loveseat around the fireplace . . . so cozy. Let us know what you decide.

Much love, Brenda Mom

Danielle said...

Being a mom of two rowdy toddlers, I'm a huge fan of micro-fiber, particularly for clean-up. Did you know that you can actually clean pen marks off the micro-fiber with 409 and a cloth? This demonstration by the furniture salesman is what sold us on a micro-fiber couch. It also is great for spills and is easy to clean with an upholstery cleaner/vacuum (it dries very quickly). I would definitely recommend the micro-fiber one for kid-friendliness.

Danielle said...

P.S. Micro-fiber is also pet friendly (hair doesn't embed itself in the fibers), unlike our other regular couch which seems to be a fur magnet. The hair just brushes right of the micro-fiber, whereas I practicly have to use tweezers to get the fur out of the other couch.

Harriet said...

Micro fiber is what I have and it is comfy and stain resistant. The red looked great!!

Harriet

Unknown said...

RED! I know brown is the safe colour, but how fun would it be to come home to a RED couch??

cupcakegrl said...

Okay, I LOVE the red (warm, different, edgy), but I would caution you to measure your room AND the furniture before you buy. We bought a HUGE couch and chair that positively dominate our small living room. I am assuming that "sofa plus a loveseat/chair/chaise" mean sofa and loveseat OR chair OR chaise. I say go with the sofa and loveseat so you have plenty of room for visiting tushies. Also, I say get the red but then go with neutral pillows (too many primary colors make me think of a Gymboree classroom). I agree that matchy-matchy isn't necessarily the best way to look sophisticated. Maybe a neutral throw blanket, also, to make the look less formal. Ooo, this is almost as fun as doing my own house! Have fun decorating! :)

Anonymous said...

I love the brown microfiber sofa.
But, comfort is more important to me than the color. So, if the brown is comfy, and not too expensive, I say go for that one. But if the red is more comfy, or half the price of the brown, and if the lady comes with that sofa, and agrees to do the 3 am feedings, I say go with the red.

Krista said...

I think the green would make for a very zen environment, which you may want after the kiddo arrives. But the brown is good too. Nice and neutral for when you want to change a wall color or something but not have to get new furniture.

Anonymous said...

All of those couches are excellent. It is so nice to be faced by a bunch of good choices. Life is so rarely like that. :)

My first instinct is for your red option, but the microsuede fans certainly do make strong arguments.

I doubt you could go wrong with such strong contenders, but as a tie-breaker I'd suggest sitting on them to see if any make you say "ewww" or "ooooh".

--Jen Em

Gluckblogs said...

Listen to Jo - reversible cushions are key. One or two of ours are stained with maple syrup (rule #2 - always put a towel down for the kids), and they're not reversible, so we're stuck. But go with the red - it's just a couch, right?

katem said...

Wow, friends! You're all so great! We didn't get to couch shopping this weekend, but now, armed with all your helpful feedback, we'll be super-savvy consumers next weekend. First task: sit on these couches and figure out what's comfy!

Alex said...

See how comfy the two cushion one is. That, by far, is my fave--but you guys are going to be sitting on it. Pick the best feeler.