Monday, October 06, 2008

This weekend

We accomplished a couple of things this weekend.

First, on Friday, we found a really good Thai restaurant: Thai Tina's. We went on whim, and we were totally surprised. The tofu was delicious, and there were lots of fish entrees. It was a lot of food - so much that Mike ate the rest for lunch on Saturday. We'll totally go back there!

Second, on Saturday night, I finally finished the penguin I started as my Olympics knitting project. The goal was to cast on during the opening ceremonies and cast off during the closing ceremonies. Although the Olympics ended a bit ago, I still had Olympics coverage on the DVR recorder. So I wasn't really late. In fact, I finished my recorded Olympics coverage the same day I finished the penguin. So I was right on time! Here's a picture of it, posed on the "iceberg" and "permafrost" of our clean sheets (albedo effect, anyone?).Third, we finally framed and hung the last pictures in the living room. This was a bit of a tricky hanging job, since this was a set of four pictures that had to be spaced exactly right on the wall and in relationship to each other. Mike did a super job!Fourth, I ran across the remainder of the cream cheese from last week's apple cake. It was exactly the right amount to make a small batch of sugar cookies. So I did. We intended to share some of them with our friends who shared their organic veggies with us, but then we forgot. Hopefully, Mike can track them down on campus tomorrow.What we didn't do this weekend was adopt a dog. We'd found a dog we liked, but she was adopted before we had a chance to get to the shelter to get her. I'm feeling a little dog-disappointed and a little dog-burned. I want a dog, I just don't want the heartache of the process of adopting a dog. We've also filled out an application with a lab rescue organization. This is a good deal since the dogs from the rescue group come house-broken, crate-trained, spayed/neutered, with all their shots, and have been living in foster families with other dogs and kids. But the wait can be as long as five months. So we'll see.

Also, check out these beautiful roses:

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Cute penguin! Cute cookies! Pretty roses!

Anonymous said...

When I saw the 4 pictures, hung so well in your apartment, I thought, "My son, the handyman!"

MD

P.S., I really enjoyed the whole post. Good luck on the doggy adoption. I look forward to giving you my professional opinion of the Thai restaurant (as well as of any leftover cookies or cupcakes or...)

Scoot said...

I was all excited to see the temperature was 60 degrees. Then I realized it's only 9 in the morning there, and the forecast is still for 86. Ah well.

Well done on the penguin, and good luck with the ongoing pooch search!

Anonymous said...

Great sheets! (Doesn't that sound like something Robin would say to Batman?)

Thanks for updating the blog so that we can all see what's going on in your lives. :)

--Jen Em

Anonymous said...

Kate and Mike,

Loved the post. Loved the pictures and how expertly my talented son hung them up. They look great! Kate, I am so proud of your penguin. He or she is adorable. You are a talented knitter. We are happy you share all these things with us!

Warmly,
Michigan Mom