Tuesday, August 26, 2008

New York Minute

The weekend was a bit of a whirlwind for us, as we flew out (very) early on Friday morning to New York City and then flew back on Sunday morning. It was so weird landing at DFW on Sunday and realizing that this was our "final destination". I wouldn't say Texas feels like home yet.

At any rate, we went to the big city for a very special wedding. The B-hatch was marrying a most wonderful Jenji. The wedding was a private ceremony on Saturday morning, followed by an amazing party in Bryant Park on Saturday evening.

Compared to the last time I was in New York, I definitely felt like I was appreciating the city much more (taxis! tall buildings! ethnic food! ethnic people!).

[As an aside, when we landed on Friday, Mike and I had the most sickening taxi ride of our entire lives. There was no a/c and the driver was inexplicably stopping and starting (seriously, this was not in any way to avoid traffic). By the time the cab reached Riverside Drive, we both wanted to puke. Neither of us did, though. But only barely. Uuummm, okay, so what was I saying about those taxis? Perhaps not so much to miss there.]

Friday night while Mike attended the bachelor party, I joined the left behind crew for a very yummy dinner and very funny show.

Saturday morning we met Mike's relatives for brunch and a stroll in the park. Mike's cousin has some very cute daughters:Then, I met one of my dearest friends, Karen, for lunch and another stroll around the park (can you tell how excited we were to be somewhere where it was actually comfortable to be outside?). We had the requisite New York pizza, followed by a shared cappuccino cupcake from a bakery with stellar selection (although, the word from a fellow cupcake lover is that these aren't as good as they come in Seattle. I guess I am out of cupcake practice, since they tasted pretty good to me!). Here's a picture of Central Park:And here we are (not barefoot) in the park:Then, it was time for the wedding celebration. Here's Mike with the man of the hour:The rooftop cocktail hour was absolutely divine - Bryant Park was so green, the buildings were so tall, and the weather was so pleasant. I could have stayed there forever!

Here are some shots from later in the evening:The wedding was lovely, the bride beautiful, the groom handsome, and everyone so very happy for such a wonderful couple.


p.s. As an aside, I'm noticing a lot of distortion as I link the photos from flickr and put them on blogger. My pictures really are much sharper! People really do have their eyes open! I think this is happening because of some kind of compression, since the photos really are huge - but I'm not sure how to fix this without uploading two copies of each picture (one small, one original size). If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Update: Thanks to Scott's tip, the pictures are looking much better. I can't say what happened to the right-hand side of black box around the pictures or why Karen and I are a little off center, but c'est la vie. Also, I am going to HTML class next week. For the record.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried clicking on the view all sizes link in flickr and choosing the medium or small version to link? That works better sometimes.

So now you're getting a dog right?

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kate. It is fun reliving the weekend through your eyes. Beautiful pictures!! Richard and I had such a great time at the wedding and such a great time with you, Mike and Jen plus all of the other wonderful people we shared the weekend with.

Love,
brenda

katem said...

Hi Jay - these are the medium sized ones from flickr. Do you think I should go with the small? Or will that only make the problem worse? Mike thought that using the the large made the blog load too slowly....

Scoot said...

As to the picture sizing problem, yup, I've had this issue too - the problem is not so much the size as the *re-*size. Blogger likes to add an HTML tag saying 'width=[blah]'. If the picture isn't that width, the web browser tries to resize it and does a lame distorted job. I end up having to go back through and delete that part of the tag manually. Lame, but it gets the crystal clear fab pics we know you take to display as such.