Monday, May 12, 2008

A new power is rising in the (y)east

I spent the weekend making bread.

Okay, so that's a total exaggeration. My bread spent the weekend making itself. And it is awesome. A while back the New York Times published a no-knead bread recipe. I read the article, but it still seemed a little too complicated for me. But last week, the local paper's food writer did a blog post with a revised step-by-step recipe for no-knead bread. After reading that and having pictures to guide me along the way, I figured I'd give the bread a try. How hard could it be?

It was totally easy. The bread rises with a mix of rapid-rise yeast, lager beer, and vinegar. I started the bread on Friday evening, let it rise all night and Saturday morning. Saturday afternoon I put half of the dough in the oven and got this:Tasty, but a little darker than I would have liked. Can't beat the artisan bread look, though.

Sunday, Mike cut the cooking time and baked this with the second half of the dough that I'd begun on Friday evening:Can you believe it? The bread is so good. You have to try this! For real.

No comments: