Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Pete Lake

SYL and I headed for the hills yesterday. We drove up over the Cascades to the Pete Lake trailhead. First, there is an amazing amount of development going on up near Roslyn - just a few years ago Mike and I drove the Salmon La Sac road and there was nothing out there. Not so much any more.

Anyway, the trail to Pete Lake was far from the bulldozers so we were okay. The trail is actually mostly flat (no Lake Serene switchbacks, thanks very much) and through a very beautiful old growth forest. The size of the trees is really hard to capture, but here are some attempts.The trail had a fair number of stream crossings, and there was no shortage of bugs (despite bug spray, I'm a little bitten up today).

But, Pete Lake is beautiful! It was such a lovely day yesterday and we really felt like we had the place to ourselves. Perhaps the heartier hikers had ventured on to Spectacle Lake (I think there is some elevation gain associated with that!).We had a late lunch at the lake and then we went swimming. Yes, it was cold. Very.

What a fun day!

No comments: