Sunday, September 10, 2006

The new shape of this blog

Is just me reporting on my weekends, apparently.

So, here’s what I did:

On Saturday, SYL’s college had an architecture walking tour of downtown. The tour was led by a person who is on the architecture review board for the city, so we definitely got a lot of history and information. It was great and I learned a lot.
Although not on the tour, this is the new downtown library. I’ve never been in there, though.

Totem pole downtown

Historic marker

This is actually the door of the building that housed Seattle’s stock exchange. Who knew Seattle had a stock exchange, right? Well, when this building opened, it was actually the largest exchange (square foot-wise) in the country. Unfortunately, it opened in 1929 which was not, uh, the most auspicious year to open an exchange.

Also, I learned that it is important to look up at the molding on the buildings when in downtown Seattle. One building has walruses on it, and this building has busts of Chief Seattle.

On Sunday, I went to see the movie Quinceanera. I would totally recommend this movie – the characters are fairly complex, the story is well-written and keeps unfolding, and I think it’s a good glimpse at teenage life.

Afterwards, I had dinner with Scott and Meredith at their new house.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should go into the library. It's pretty neat.

katem said...

I know; it's just never been the right time. I'm not avoiding it - I'm just never there.