Last Wednesday the kids did a vegetable printing project. This was a lot of fun, but I think that the idea of having kids make vegetable and fruit prints definitely originated outside of Japan. For one thing, fruit is pretty expensive here. From the lesson plans I saw online, apples were a common fruit used in this activity. Well, here apples can easily go for $2 an apple.
So, apples were out. I ended up going with the cheapest stuff I could find: daikon, lemons, mushrooms, eggplants, and bell peppers.
My other problem was getting the paint to be the right texture. We were down to the end-of-the-school-year amounts of supplies, so making enough paint for all the kids made the paint pretty thin. I thickened it with flour, but this wasn't easy.
Anyway, this was a pretty fun activity, and, in the end, the weird veggies and fruits and the tricky paint texture didn't seem to matter.


No comments:
Post a Comment