Friday, June 02, 2006

The Mikasa

So, way back in March when SYL was here, we saw something that didn’t make it onto the blog right away. And then later it got lost in the shuffle of vacationing with my mom. So this is sort of a make-up blog post.

Our friend Rob is really into battleships. Like really, really, really into them. I am, uh, not. When I came to Japan to visit Mike in 2002, Rob stressed to me that it was vital that I travel out to Yokosuka to visit the Mikasa. Uh, whatever: I had ten days in Japan, and I was not going to spend one whole day trekking out to some ship. Or boat (I know that among those in the know there’s a difference between “ship” and “boat,” but I wouldn’t say that I know when to use which).

Anyway, this year it was a different story. In part, because Rob had also stressed to the lovely SYL the importance of said ship. And SYL was thus determined to go, “for Rob.”And so we went. I wouldn’t say it was the most compelling thing ever, but it was interesting. There was actually a lot of English signage, so we were able to understand what we were seeing. Rather than explaining it all to you, I refer you to the expert in these matters who can address the history and significance of the Mikasa with far more eloquence and accuracy than I.We were also the only two women there together (in a group without men) and the only two people (other than a group of visiting Japanese sailors in uniform) under 65.

It was a cold day, colder still right on the water. But the park surrounding the ship was quite pretty. And then we headed off to Kamakura to warm up and eat lunch.

I wouldn’t say that this is a must-see if you come to Japan (although I suspect Rob would), but for an offbeat sight, this was alright.

No comments: