So I am headed back to Seattle soon; Mike will follow in a few months. We’ll be living with our good friend Lisa, so in addition to saving money, we’re hoping to have a really good time!
I’m excited to be going back—but that’s a subject for another post. Or six.
First, I need to say something that’s been hanging over my head for a while. This is different from most of the posts I’ve written, because it’s more personal than most of what we post here. And maybe this isn’t is a big a deal as I am making it seem; but it feels pretty big to me, so that’s all I’ve got to go on. To some of you—the amazing ones who’ve listened to me cry, helped me work through things, given me the courage to move forward, proof-read my applications, and will, no doubt, be there in the days to come—this is not new. But for others, this is new news, or at least new news in this more settled form.
(With all those disclaimers out of the way . . . )
When we go back to Seattle, I won’t be going back to the graduate program. I love the subject, but I just don’t love the process of writing a dissertation. While I know everyone feels that way (What was I expecting? A pony?), I was feeling it worst than most, I think. But hiding it better, perhaps. I won’t detail how miserable I was because that’s just lame and pathetic. I’ll just sum it by saying it wasn’t that I thought I’d have regrets if a potato chip truck whipped around the corner and flattened me, it was that I kept wishing that it would.
Do I have a new plan? Heck, yes! I’ll be on campus at the College of Education, training to be a high school social studies teacher. I’m happy about this—happy to be back in the classroom, happy to be working with kids, and happy to be training in a sector where the jobs are relatively more abundant. If I hadn’t gone to grad school, I would have worked a few years and then become a high school government teacher, so this is hardly a new career direction for me.
All the same, it’s bittersweet. I think I’ll be much happier in the long-term, but I’d be lying if I told you that I felt totally happy right now. Truth be told, I feel like a total failure and a flunkie. Like someone who couldn’t hack it, because, well, maybe I couldn’t. Or maybe I chose not to. But I just can’t quite grasp the difference quite yet. I want to be in a place where I can say something like, “I was enrolled in a Ph.D. program, but it just wasn’t where I needed to be (or my calling?), so I left and became a teacher.” But right now that rolls off my tongue about as easily as dry cotton. I think, once I’m more settled in this career direction, explaining the switch will get easier.
I’m tired, though, of holding my breath when I tell people I’m doing this, searching for that flicker of judgment that a hyper-sensitive me is ever-ready to perceive. I’ve noticed that I get one of two responses. Response 1: “Teaching is great, it’s a very rewarding a career, you really make a difference, you have summers off, you have your kids’ vacation schedule, etc.” Often, this person will follow up by noting the teachers that are in her/his family. That’s nice. That makes me feel good. Response 2: “You’re doing what, considering what you could have done . . . ? With kids these days the way they are? And all the school shootings? Nobody respects teachers. You know, most teachers don’t even make it five years in the job?” Okay, see, this makes me feel less good. This is not a helpful response. You know, if you can’t say something nice . . . .
So this is where I am, and why I’m doing what I’m doing. You heard it here first (maybe).
Saturday, June 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I know that you have felt some discomfort about your decision to shift gears and head toward high school teaching. I don’t claim to be unbiased about you, but I believe the following to be true:
You are going to be wonderful in this role. Your combination of academic skills and passion, as well as your personal characteristics, will make you an outstanding teacher! I see you as a role-model for many lucky students. You are needed in the high school environment.
Most of the best teachers I know are in the K-12 arena. Of course there are good professors; I think Michael will be great and you would have been too. I think you are one of few who coould excel in both arenas.
I’ll be happy to talk with you about this – or not – when we are together in Portland or at any other time.
MD
hey kate,
We had a great time in Tokyo. I don't know this helps but when I stopped doing music in high school it was because I thought I could do so much more--as if there is a hierarchy of careers and by choosing arts I was relagating myself to the lower part of that spectrum, while my achievement and enthusiasm in school meant I should do bigger and better things with my life. But in reality, the career hierarchy is a social-media externality and largely irrelevent to the passionate relationship humans (especially artists like us) have with their consciences. (sorry, I'm still a Berkeley student...). While I am in no position to make such a judgement, I feel like this hierarchy is the reason why so many have my peers CHOOSE careers in medicine and law because they see it not as a passion, but as a secure path to an upper-middle class lifestyle Consequently we have much more lawyers and plastic surgeons then we probably should.
This is not to slight the many people we both know who have gone into said carrers (especially those in our family) for the right reasons. Our aunt went into law to stand up for those with less than she--and it shows. Our mother knew she wanted to help women when she was very young--and it shows. You have been shaping and caring for young minds since I was born--and it shows.
What you are doing is courageous. It is standing up for yourself in a society where people value the letters after your name, not your contribution to the world. This may never change, for those wronged by this injustice are too unselfish to protest. We are occupied with bigger and better endevors.
-E
I support your decision 100%. I too left a PhD program, for basically the same reasons. I just didn't see it getting me to a happier place. Only you can know what will make you happy. And only you can know what will make you want a truck to hit you. You have to trust that you have made the right decision. It may feel bad now because it feels like you have let yourself down in some way, but you will see in the long run that it was the right choice. PhD programs are good -- for people who want to go that route. They can be seen as a status symbol -- but so is wearing ridiculous heels and carrying a small dog with you wherever you go (a la Paris Hilton). And just as it is easy to see that the heels/yappy dog don't suit you, neither does the PhD program. It is not a step down; it is a step in the right direction. Chase your happiness!
Kate,
I love the comments of the previous posters. Eric, you are quite a wise young man. And Shaney, you had some great metaphors. Kate, I am in total agreement that it took you incredible courage to follow your heart in a society that equates degrees with worth. It is worthy to follow your heart, to have the courage to say no to the beliefs of society, to choose to make a difference in the lives of young people, to impart to students your love of history and learning. I don't believe at the end of our lives that the question will ever be what degrees or acheivements you had but how did you treat your friends and loved ones and did you make a difference. I applaud you Kate, my wise daughter-in-law in the courage it took you to change paths. Our whole family is very proud of you and looks forward to hearing your teaching tales.
Congrats, Kate. I only wish I had the skills / disposition / truly altruistic nature / lack of a mortgage that would allow me to be a teacher. Do what you love. - Mike G.
Hi, Kate,
Your mother-in-law told me about your blog entry regarding your decision to go into teaching. I wanted you to know that I retired after 33 years of teaching. I always felt proud of my career choice. When I left the classroom because of a health issue, I knew that I was leaving behind one of the most important and rewarding jobs that exist. You won't regret your decision, Kate.
Sincerely,
Thank you - all of you! You make me feel so very nice and very, very supported.
kate whatever the choice you make, remember to simply live in the present and you will be lead on the right path for you. You have the ability to light up a room wherever you are... whether you choose teaching or writing or motherhood, choose to be you. Disregard the comments of others who do not stand in your shoes. Be happy, take chances and explore all of your options.
jo
fo sho dude- remember.. you are the bombdotcom and the only thing constant in life is that there will be change, keeping up with it is the challenge, and you are doing just that- keepin up with the challenge of being a player in the game of life,(which is not a spectator sport, contrary to the way many of us act).I only know pieces to who you are, but adore you all the same- keep up the kickin spirit that you share with those who cross your path- those kids (other teachers, administrators, parents, ect.)will be lucky to have learned from you.
much love from the mitten,
Sugar =o)
Post a Comment